Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-26 09:01:21

jr_marino

[solved] problem with exo-open & Thunar

I use FreeBSD 7.1 with XFCE 4.4.3

XFCE4 was installed months ago (when the OS was at version 7.0) and it was working fine.  I recently upgraded to perl 5.8.9, xorg 7.4, and deleted some packages that I thought were orphaned.  After all those changes, XFCE4 doesn't work correctly anymore.  I have manually rebuilt XFCE4 multiple times, including rebuilding most of the packages required by it and I can't fix it.

Here's what happens:
When I start XFCE, I see Thunar get started as a daemon process.  However, I get a TrashQuery warning that the trash functionality needs Thunar to respond.  When I try to open any folder (home, computer), nothing happens.  I click on the folder, I get a "watch" icon, but nothing occurs.  I can see processes get created though.  If I shut XFCE down, the Thunar process along with all the folder launch processes stay up, and must be killed manually (-9 not necessary)

Likewise, if I try to launch a terminal from the menu, there's a created "exo-open" process that doesn't do anything.  I can launch a terminal from the task bar though. 

It looks to me that the problems with Thunar and exo-open are related -- solve one and the other is probably solved as well.

Does this behavior sound familiar?  Any idea how to fix it?  Like I said before, completely removing all the XFCE packages and reinstalling them did not fix it.

#2 2009-01-26 14:35:23

herd
Website

Re: [solved] problem with exo-open & Thunar

Could you post the bottom lines of a ./configure run from thunar sources?
Maybe you have lost gamin/libfam support.

Another thing to check is if DBUS is alive at all.

hth,

herd

#3 2009-01-26 15:42:11

jr_marino

dbus is definitely alive, it's very easy to verify on FreeBSD.  So is the hal daemon for that matter.
I rebuilt the libfam from source, so I should have that.

Since I posted, I found portmanager which told me what the few deleted ports were, which I rebuilt.  When I get home, I'm going to check and see if XFCE is running normally again since the machine should be restored to what it was before.

I know there's no logs after the portinstall.  I am not sure if there is configure log after the "make install" method, I can look if it's still not working.

#4 2009-01-26 15:47:22

jr_marino

something to chew on:

even if something shows wrong on the thunar build, would it also affect exo-open?  what makes that executable anyway?  the libexo package?

#5 2009-01-26 17:55:45

jr_marino

okay, the problem still exists.
By the way, according the official FreeBSD forums, a lot of people had problems with the xorg 7.4 upgrade.  They had all the same problems I did, although I don't think this problem can be blamed on xorg.

Here's the last few lines of the config.log:

#define HAVE_SYMLINK 1
#define HAVE_SYSLOG 1
#define HAVE_STRUCT_STATFS_F_MNTONNAME 1
#define GETTEXT_PACKAGE "Thunar"
#define HAVE_LOCALE_H 1
#define HAVE_LC_MESSAGES 1
#define HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET 1
#define HAVE_GETTEXT 1
#define HAVE_DCGETTEXT 1
#define ENABLE_NLS 1
#define HAVE_LIBX11 1
#define HAVE_LIBSM 1
#define HAVE_DBUS 1
#define HAVE_GCONF 1
#define HAVE_LIBSTARTUP_NOTIFICATION 1
#define HAVE_LIBJPEG 1
#define HAVE_JPEGLIB_H 1
#define THUNAR_VFS_VOLUME_IMPL_HAL 1

configure: exit 0

#6 2009-01-27 07:18:06

jr_marino

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled xorg 7.4 and xfce 4.4.3 again last night using the commands:

pkg_deinstall -R x11/xorg
portinstall x11/xorg

pkg_deinstall -R x11-wm/xfce4
portinstall x11-wm/xfce4 

There is no change, Thunar and launching applications still doesn't work.  My server is completely up to date.  Are there any developers reviewing the forum who might be able to help?  Is it possible xfce4 is incompatible with xorg 7.4?

#7 2009-01-27 10:15:13

herd
Website

I'm still in the process of portupgrading 7.0 to 7.1 -- libX11 still refuses to compile.
Xfce runs but on top of 7.0's Xorg.

Stale dependencies blues.

#8 2009-01-28 05:58:47

jr_marino

I got some help in the forums.freebsd.org xorg section.  Here's what finally fixed this for me:

> portupgrade -rRf xorg
> portupgrade -rf xfce4

followed by a reboot.

Basically it was the same thing I did before except that the command forces the rebuild on packages that are already up to date.  It looks like xorg 7.4 was the culprit after all.  Now Thunar and application launching works fine, and I'm not getting the trashQuery warning anymore either.

Maybe this info will help somebody else out.

Board footer