Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-07 14:39:47

schmolch

weird font-size issue (xrandr)

Hello there,

im using xfce on ubuntu and xubuntu (both 7.10) and ran into a weird problem.
Sometimes the fonts of applications such as epiphany, thunar, etc. would suddenly get bigger after using the xfce desktop for a while.
I didnt know why and how until i noticed that this happens when i rotate my screen (im using a tablet-pc).
So, now in normal orientation everything is fine.
But when i rotate the screen with "xrandr -o right" and start any application all the fonts of this program will be about 5 sizes bigger.
When i close all instances of the program, run "xrandr -o normal" and then restart the program the fonts are fine again.

I have no idea what is going on here but this only happens in xfce and not in gnome.
My xubuntu install is 1h old so i didnt screw anything up, i did a fresh install only because i assumed something went kaputt somehow.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?
Thx.

#2 2008-10-06 14:25:06

elahav

Re: weird font-size issue (xrandr)

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?
I thought at first that it had to something to do with DPI settings, as font size problems usually do. But xdpyinfo reports 96x96dpi for both the left and normal rotated settings. Only with normal rotation the font size is as it should be, and with left rotation it is sometimes and for only some applications much bigger than it should be. I've noticed it most frequently with Thunar, but occasionally also with Terminal, and once even with Acroread.

#3 2009-02-08 22:23:25

microcz

I and my brother - we are both using xfce 4.4.3 with archlinux (on two computers) and ubuntu (on one computer) on these three computers we are experiencing same problem with font size when using xrandr for dual monitors, dunno what we should to, nothing helps, will xfce 4.6 solve this issue?

#4 2009-02-09 17:20:13

MagnusBerg

I don't now if this help you but I had had struggle with Firefox that doesn't react on font changes done in the Xfce setup. The solution was to remove the file ~/.fontconf, or something similar, and restart firefox.
It took me more than a year of frustration to found that solution. :-)

#5 2009-02-09 19:35:55

microcz

thanks for your reply, but i have not .fontconf in my home directory, only .fontconfig dir, if i remove it nothing happens

i have exactly same problem as was described by schmolch, this problem appear when i boot my computer and start xfce with plugged dual monitor and affects whole desktop, not only firefox, but also thunar, xfce panel and other apps

#6 2009-02-09 19:58:12

microcz

i think i solved it...but maybe it was my stupidity than some xfce issue ...in xfce setting i changed DPI from SYSTEM DEFAULT to 96 and on both monitors are the fonts same

Board footer