Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-07 16:42:43

atonz

Adjust Icon Spacing + Keyboard Shortcuts

Hi, I am new to linux and to Xubuntu. I installed Xubuntu onto my parents old PC because of the constant Windows XP reformatting I had to do with all the virus they pick up.

Anyway, I have installed 8.04 and am having issues with the icon spacing. I have changed the icon size, which is perfect, but the space between icons is way too large. As well, I would like to put my trashcan in the bottom right corner yet the grid does not seem to allow this and it looks terrible. Any suggestions?

Second of all, my keyboard has a button that opened thunderbird on Ubuntu but does not any longer on xubuntu. How can I fix this?

#2 2009-02-08 02:40:15

shadow

Re: Adjust Icon Spacing + Keyboard Shortcuts

I'm not sure if you can adjust the spacing, but for the trash can, you could simply add it to the panel as an item, and remove it from the Desktop.

For the shortcut, I'm guessing you use a media key to open Mail? Go: Settings > Settings Manager > Keyboard > Shortcuts

Create a new profile / auto-copies the default one. Add a new entry with the command "thunderbird" and press the button for the shortcut.

#3 2009-02-11 21:23:31

atonz

For the Keyboard shortcuts Xubuntu does not seem to recognize the media key. It asks me which key I would like to use for shortcut and I press the key, yet it is not recognized and the shortcut key remains blank.

#4 2009-02-11 23:44:29

herd
Website

Media keys are assigned symbolic names by a keyboard map that needs to be loaded or modified.
If there is no symbolic name assigned to a keycode, xfce can't handle it.

Either have a keyboard layout selected with media keys defined (e.g. Option "XkbModel" "dell" in xorg.conf)

or have a text file with content like this:

! media keys
keycode 160=XF86AudioMute
keycode 162=XF86AudioPlay
keycode 176=XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 174=XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 153=XF86AudioNext
keycode 144=XF86AudioPrev
keycode 164=XF86AudioStop 

and call xmodmap <filename> to activate it in your autostarted apps.

The above keycodes will not necessarily match yours.
You can find the real keycodes by using the xev utility.

hth,

herd

#5 2009-02-12 04:29:47

atonz

I find it annoying that the media keys work on Ubuntu 7.10 and not Xubuntu. It's no big deal I suppose I can compromise them for the enhanced speed.

Any suggestions on how I can have Ctrl+A Select-All text? What would the command be for making that keyboartd shortcut?

#6 2009-02-12 05:04:56

shadow

atonz wrote:

I find it annoying that the media keys work on Ubuntu 7.10 and not Xubuntu. It's no big deal I suppose I can compromise them for the enhanced speed.

Any suggestions on how I can have Ctrl+A Select-All text? What would the command be for making that keyboartd shortcut?

For which app?

I'm not sure about the desktop, but it works in Thunar etc.

#7 2009-02-12 05:29:29

atonz

shadow wrote:
atonz wrote:

For which app?

I'm not sure about the desktop, but it works in Thunar etc.

It's not an app I am trying to have Ctrl + A work for. For some reason the basic, standard of all computers of Select-All (i.e. select all/highlight all text) will not work for me. When I press ctrl+a my text cursor jumps to the end of the previous line. For example: | in this sentence the cursor goes << (| =cursor).

#8 2009-02-12 08:46:42

herd
Website

atonz wrote:

... the basic, standard of all computers of Select-All (i.e. select all/highlight all text) ...

This is only true if you equate Windows to be the basis of all your standards.
Please read this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

#9 2009-02-12 09:59:55

SimonJ
Website

That brings back some good memories, thank you. smile

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#10 2009-02-12 13:36:08

shadow

atonz wrote:

It's not an app I am trying to have Ctrl + A work for. For some reason the basic, standard of all computers of Select-All (i.e. select all/highlight all text) will not work for me. When I press ctrl+a my text cursor jumps to the end of the previous line. For example: | in this sentence the cursor goes << (| =cursor).

Every program you run will implement shortcuts differently. Ctrl+A isn't a built-in shortcut to the OS. It only seems that way since all programs generally choose to do so.

Is it just the web browser your having trouble with? (since you couldn't do it during that post)

Personally I use Firefox and it works fine, your browser might be using it for something else.

I think you'll find Ctrl+A selects all in Thunar, Mousepad, Gedit... most programs I've used so far.

#11 2009-02-12 14:51:48

atonz

herd wrote:

Please read this:

So basically Ctrl+A works with every other linux OS I've installed with the one exception of Xubuntu. It seems logical that the developers of such an OS understand the universality of highlight all, cut, paste. It's like suggesting that the right mouse button is not a universal standard.

I guess it's time to terminate this experiment.

#12 2009-02-12 15:01:07

shadow

atonz wrote:
herd wrote:

Please read this:

So basically Ctrl+A works with every other linux OS I've installed with the one exception of Xubuntu. It seems logical that the developers of such an OS understand the universality of highlight all, cut, paste. It's like suggesting that the right mouse button is not a universal standard.

I guess it's time to terminate this experiment.

Like I said... it's not an OS thing... is it only your browser?

Board footer