Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-14 12:11:57

Sinker

[SOLVED] 4.6 RC1 on Gentoo. Problems with some settings windows.

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded Xfce from the latest 4.4 to 4.6 RC1 using the Layman xfce-dev overlay on Gentoo. The installation seemed to be fine and Xfce seems to be running really well. However, I do have some problems with some of the settings windows:

Session and Startup: Opens a small, untitled window with nothing in it. Expanding the window shows only the icon in the top left and the min/maximise and close buttons. No content.
Window Manager: Same as above.
Window Manager Tweaks: Opens an untitled window with 12 tabs labelled "Page 1" through to "Page 12" and two buttons at the bottom, both blank. Each tab shows anything from nothing to several buttons the width of the window with no text, or sliders the width of the window with no text.
Workspaces: Shows an untitled window with a picture of the screen on the left with dashed borders and a dialog box with the number zero in the middle. There a small up / down arrows next to the zero but on the the down arrow is clickable, but it doesn't do anything. On the right, half covered over as the window itself isn't, by default, wide enough, is a list of Workspace names with another up/down number box with zero in (niether up nor down work). Lastly, there are two blank buttons at the bottom.

Can anyone shed any light on the above?

Many thanks.

#2 2009-02-16 08:34:42

Sinker

Re: [SOLVED] 4.6 RC1 on Gentoo. Problems with some settings windows.

Bit more info.

If I run xfwm4-settings from a terminal I get this error repeated numerous times:

(xfwm4-settings:12727): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkLabel to a GtkFrame, but
as a GtkBin subclass a GtkFrame can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type
GtkAlignment

If anyone knows which package the affected settings are in I'll gladly rebuild them. Maybe I'll start with xfwm4, xfconf and xfce4-settings and see how I get on...

#3 2009-02-16 14:43:13

herd
Website

I'm not really airborne with Gentoo but reading this warning I'd suggest to re-emerge gtk+ with pedantic attention to the USE flags.

hth,

herd

#4 2009-02-16 16:43:48

Sinker

Cheers,

I managed to fix it. I re-emerged xfconf, xfwm4, xfce4-session and xfce4-settings and it all started working again. I have no idea what the original fault was, but I'm happy!

Pete.

Board footer