Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 02:30:31

One Salient Oversight

Multiple instances of xfdesktop running at the same time?

Just after I upgraded to Xubuntu 9.04, I began looking at the system monitor. Here's a screenshot of the problem:

LINK TO SCREENSHOT

In short, I have often had to manually kill 6-7 instances of xfdesktop running at the same time. What is going on?

#2 2009-05-04 08:23:41

FrancescoA

Re: Multiple instances of xfdesktop running at the same time?

One Salient Oversight wrote:

Just after I upgraded to Xubuntu 9.04, I began looking at the system monitor. Here's a screenshot of the problem:

LINK TO SCREENSHOT

In short, I have often had to manually kill 6-7 instances of xfdesktop running at the same time. What is going on?

That is strange. Did you make a dist-upgrade? I did and everything looks normal.  All other programs work okay? Is that immediatly after booting your pc or does it happen after longer time using xfce?

#3 2009-05-04 11:01:27

One Salient Oversight

Yep, it happened straight after I upgraded from Xubuntu 8.10 to 9.04.

All other programs seem to work okay at this stage.

Each time I boot I have to manually kill 5-6 xfdesktops. I have a list of background images being used for my desktop and the process of killing these always results in a different image after the deed.

When I reboot, there they all are again.

#4 2009-05-04 14:33:33

herd
Website

Solution is to clear the cache as follows:

Log out from your current session
switch over to virtual terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1)
commit
rm -rf .cache/xfce*
to the prompt.

This should clear the leftovers from 4.4.

Btw, if you used tracker in xubuntu and the index gets reported corrupted again and again, deleting .cache/tracker* in the same manner as above helped.

Obviously xubuntu team did not test upgrade issues as much as desirable.

#5 2009-05-05 08:27:19

Reeno

Hello,
I have a similar problem. I upgraded from Xubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 and every time I log in via GDM about 225 (I only counted them once) instances of the xfdesktop process start, which takes a long time and slows down the computer significantly. When I switch to a terminal and kill them all (kill -kill `pidof xfdesktop` (kill without the -kill won't work)) this may end in two different results.
The first is no process remains alive and I have to start it manually (then everything is fine). Second outcome is, that only two instances stay alive and everytime I try to kill them, they respawn immediately (with new pids). Unfortunately only one of them gets a notification area and this is always the desktop which is below of the other (so I have no notification area).

I first deleted .cache/xfce* as suggested, with no result. Then I deleted the whole .cache/, still no result.

When I log out of xfce, I always save the session (set this in the xfce settings).
edit: I also tried it without saving the session.

edit: Here's an older bug report with another workaround. I'll try it later.

Any more suggestions how to solve this problem?

Regards,
Reeno

#6 2009-05-06 07:13:37

One Salient Oversight

I bit the bullet and created a new user account and then cut and pasted all the important stuff (email, docs, music etc) from my old user account to my new one. It was/is annoying having to change all the default settings but at least it seems to work.

#7 2009-05-06 16:27:29

Reeno

I solved it with the second advice from the bug report.

rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/desktop

Board footer