Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-08 12:41:14

rin67630

Help of XFCE expert appreciated to improve XFCE-based distro.

Hi XFCE experts,

"andLinux" is a somewhat special coLinux based distro.
It enables to run a Linux environment _inside_ of Windows. Not in a VM: inside of Windows.
Something like an anti-Wine. ;-)
An very well working anti-Wine however, running every Linux app like a breeze. Cut and paste between Windows and Linux included.

The problem: One of it's  installations comes with a partial XFCE environment, which is specially well suited for that purpose; since andLinux works on the desktop of Windows, the designers did however only take some modules of XFCE, taking just what's necessary to run the apps.

In consequence many of the sexy configuration features of XFCE don't work there: you cannot change the fonts, the templates etc...
It is really a pity to have got such a great integrated working environment and, at the opposite, have to work with the defaults of XFCE with antialiased fonts and Windows2000- like graphics.

XFCE can be really gorgeous, specially upon using the crisp Windows core fonts, with Arial as default, disabling anti-aliasing, and taking a glare theme.

I haven't found yet the correct packages to retrofit the customizing options in order to get all my loved XFCE configuration features.

Maybe someone with more XFCE expertise than me, could try this distro and give some advice (better a script) to get the missing functionality ?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

RIN67630

#2 2009-06-16 20:51:04

herd
Website

Re: Help of XFCE expert appreciated to improve XFCE-based distro.

AndLinux seems to be ubuntu based, so you may try to install the missing xfce packages from synaptic, especially the gtk-engines.

hth,

herd

#3 2009-06-20 18:03:59

rin67630

Re: Help of XFCE expert appreciated to improve XFCE-based distro.

rin67630 wrote:

The problem: One of it's  installations comes with a partial XFCE environment, which is specially well suited for that purpose; since andLinux works on the desktop of Windows, the designers did however only take some modules of XFCE, taking just what's necessary to run the apps.

In consequence many of the sexy configuration features of XFCE don't work there: you cannot change the fonts, the templates etc...

I already made some progress:

xfce-setting-show did let me make the changes. However the changes are not permanent. Upon rebbooting i need to recall xfce-setting-show and then get instantaneously the previous settings.

Who knows how to make them permanent?

Then i still have troble with Firefox.
I have got this problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intre … bug/212176

Apparently it is fixed in the full Xubuntu 9.04 but not in my partial Xfce version.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you

RIN67630

Board footer