Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-02 13:14:43

Conan

Please, i need a good and easy backup software in XFCE 4.

Hi, XFCE have a backup program.
I need something to backup my Linux's configurations, suck painel, desktop, themes, etc...

[ ]s Conan

//edited by ElAngelo... stop shouting

XFCE===> first choice 4ever

#2 2009-06-10 14:31:51

unicav

Re: Please, i need a good and easy backup software in XFCE 4.

Conan the easiest and best method is going to be to write a short script to use rsync or something similar to copy the appropriate directories to your backup device. Your settings should all be in your $HOME/.config directory, and since pretty much every program on your system stores its user info in $HOME as well, the best thing to do is just backup $HOME to your device and then script rsync to keep it backed up then run that from a desktop icon whenever you plug your device in.

The themes will be in their own system directory so just grab that one too and when you add a theme it will be rsync'd to the backup drive as well.

#3 2009-06-10 17:20:35

Pindakoe

There are also (scripted) front-ends to rsync that will take care of keeping daily, weekly, monthly etc snapshots sorted for you. I use rsnapshot myself with some cron-driven scripts that take of all my backup needs; another one is dirvish -- same purpose different implementation. Anotehr direction is tools like timevault, again based on rsync.

#4 2009-07-10 19:11:55

Conan

Thanks, i will try RSYNC wright?
I'm not a geek with linux and yours commands, but i will try rsync.

If appear other software for backup (aggod and easy), tell me ok?

[ ]s to all!

XFCE===> first choice 4ever

Board footer