Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-29 13:48:39

vinoman7

moving icons to toolbar [Solved]

How do you move icons to the toolbar?

I know to go to /usr/share/applications to drag icons to the desktop, but I wanted to add them to the upper toolbar.

I'm running Xubuntu 9.04

#2 2009-06-29 14:16:09

Avinash.Rao

Re: moving icons to toolbar [Solved]

I am having the same problem, how do i create shortcuts on the top panel. I know i can add a new item but when i did that the icon goes to the right hand corner, but i wanted that in the middle of the panel so that its visible.

Can anyone help me.
Thanks
Avinash

#3 2009-06-29 15:36:24

Snood

vinoman7 wrote:

I know to go to /usr/share/applications to drag icons to the desktop, but I wanted to add them to the upper toolbar.

I'm running Xubuntu 9.04

Have you tried right-clicking on the pane, adding a launcher, and then configuring it to launch whatever it is you want it to launch? Or am I misunderstanding what it is that you wish to do?

#4 2009-06-29 15:41:17

Snood

Avinash.Rao wrote:

I am having the same problem, how do i create shortcuts on the top panel. I know i can add a new item but when i did that the icon goes to the right hand corner, but i wanted that in the middle of the panel so that its visible.

Can anyone help me.
Thanks
Avinash

Right-click the launcher / shortcut, select Move from the context menu, left-click the mouse when you have the mouse cursor where you want to put the item. That upper panel may contain a task list which reserves all space not taken up by the system tray / notification area or preconfigured applets. So, with a task list on the panel, other items are going to be at the left end or the right end of the panel.

#5 2009-06-29 17:33:19

vinoman7

Snood wrote:
vinoman7 wrote:

I'm running Xubuntu 9.04

Have you tried right-clicking on the pane, adding a launcher, and then configuring it to launch whatever it is you want it to launch? Or am I misunderstanding what it is that you wish to do?

Thanks, that worked! By adding a launcher and selecting Mousepad it added an icon at the right-hand end of the toolbar. when trying to move it doesn't, but that's OK. How to make the move function work?

#6 2009-06-29 18:04:22

Snood

vinoman7 wrote:
Snood wrote:
vinoman7 wrote:

I'm running Xubuntu 9.04

Thanks, that worked! By adding a launcher and selecting Mousepad it added an icon at the right-hand end of the toolbar. when trying to move it doesn't, but that's OK. How to make the move function work?

When you right-click on a shortcut you've placed on the panel, do you get a context menu? Is "Move" one of the options on that menu? On all of the xfce systems I've seen (not many, I'm new at it, too) selecting the "Move" option changes the cursor. If I place that cursor at a new location on the panel, the item I was trying to move gets relocated to the new position. It's not working that way for you? If not, please try to be very precise in describing exactly what you are doing and what you see on the screen at each step. Maybe someone will be able to help better if they can picture exactly what you are seeing.

#7 2009-06-29 18:21:58

vinoman7

I figured it out! When I right-click on the icon I want to move, I select move and it goes grey, then I can left-click where I want it to go and it moves it there. I'm used to Gnome, but Xfce is different. 

Problem solved. smile

#8 2009-06-29 20:38:16

Snood

I'm used to Gnome, but Xfce is different.

Different, as in much, much nicer.

;D

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I find Xfce to be responsive and reliable.

Take what we've been talking about, for instance. This isn't something I do. But let's say you put a bunch of shortcuts on the panel in GNOME. If you do this, there may not be much sense in just letting them sit in any old order. After all, you're more efficient if the shortcuts all stay in precise locations so that you can mouse to them and click them quickly. So you're going to arrange them in the order you want them by dragging them, and then you're going to lock them in place. Now let's say you want to add another shortcut in the middle of your array of shortcuts. You add the shortcut to the panel. Now you've got to unlock each of the shortcuts that's going to be displaced by your new shortcut, drag the new shortcut to the position you want, and re-lock each of the shortcuts. I've got a buddy who spends more time rearranging the shortcuts on his panel than he does actually getting work done. (That's almost not an exaggeration.)

In Xfce, you just add the shortcut and move it to the location you want. The shortcuts don't go rearranging themselves every time you change screen resolution or switch your laptop between its built-in display and its docked display.

This particular facet doesn't affect me anyway. I almost always start everything from Alt+F2 (Run program dialog) or from a terminal window. I'm fast enough with the keyboard that I can do this easier than using a mouse to go up to a panel or search through a menu system. I just don't like my hands to leave the keyboard when I'm busy.

But I really do like the precision and quickness with which everything in Xfce works for me.

#9 2009-06-29 23:22:39

vinoman7

No, different is good. I've installed Xfce on Debian and Arch. I also used it with Dreamlinux. but I still like Xubuntu 9.04 64bit as much as any of them. And it's easier to set up. And now it's running on a PC I built with AMD 64 X2 4600 with 2GB RAM. It's very responsive. smile

#10 2009-06-30 06:00:07

Avinash.Rao

Thanks for your reply. I actually tried this before posting but the icon goes to the left corner as you have mentioned.
Its on both corners instead of middle of the panel or where i want.

[/quote]

Right-click the launcher / shortcut, select Move from the context menu, left-click the mouse when you have the mouse cursor where you want to put the item. That upper panel may contain a task list which reserves all space not taken up by the system tray / notification area or preconfigured applets. So, with a task list on the panel, other items are going to be at the left end or the right end of the panel.
[/quote]

#11 2009-06-30 13:33:09

Wapush

Avinash.Rao wrote:

This is because you have a separator configured with "Expanding empty space".

Edit: By adding a second separator configured with "Expanding empty space", you will be able to place the items you want in the middle of the panel.

Here's an example with the quick launcher plugin in the middle of a top panel:
1246429863.png

#12 2009-07-03 10:41:50

Avinash.Rao

Thats a fancy desktop u've got!! How did you get your panel so thick, my top panel is thin and long and all the icons on the panel are so small and not very visible.

I tried creating another separator, after i get small line in the middle of the panel. But still i am not to able to move the icons. If i remove the separator all the icons are alligned to the left...

Wapush wrote:
Avinash.Rao wrote:

This is because you have a separator configured with "Expanding empty space".

Edit: By adding a second separator configured with "Expanding empty space", you will be able to place the items you want in the middle of the panel.

Here's an example with the quick launcher plugin in the middle of a top panel:
1246429863.png

#13 2009-07-03 11:06:11

Snood

I think what [B]wapush[/B] is suggesting is for you to now right-click on the separator, select Properties, and enable "expand" or "expansion" or whatever it's called.

#14 2009-07-04 02:03:26

Avinash.Rao

Sir,

I did that. If i disable the expand option, all the icons are pushed to left. Even if i move one of the icons from here, they are again alligned to the left.

If i enable the expand option, my calendar, network icon, Exit and sound icon sits neatly on the right corner and i am ok with this.
If i disable the expand option, all these icons from the right corner are pushed to the left corner.

I want to place the network and Terminal icons in the middle so that they are visible to the users!

Thanks smile
Avinash

Snood wrote:

I think what [B]wapush[/B] is suggesting is for you to now right-click on the separator, select Properties, and enable "expand" or "expansion" or whatever it's called.

Board footer