Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-28 16:28:09

Avinash.Rao

Need help in configuring desktop for LTSP clients:

Hello Everybody,

I am new to Xfce and I have recently installed it on ubuntu Server 8.04 running on Sun Fire X4150 server.
I did this by manually installing Xubuntu-desktop package and the installation went through without any problems.
I am going to be using Xfce for LTSP, but i am having problems configuring the desktop icons and many other features.

1) All the partitions created are displayed on the desktop when a LTSP user logs in. I know i can do this by going to desktop properties, but there are many users and i cant afford to login as each user and do this.
I also created the xfcdesktoprc file under the /home/username/.config/xfce4/desktop directory. But the filesystem icons still exists.

[file-icons]
show-trash=true
show-filesystem=false
show-home=true
show-removable=true

How can i have a common desktop icon list for all ltsp users.

2) I have created a xterm shortcut on the desktop, but the xterm is not same as the xterm that is in the accessories menu. Like the shortcut doesnt have any of the menus and i am not able to adjust the font size color etc. Shortcut /usr/bin/xterm

3) Also, whenever a ltsp client logs the default desktop is gnome which is not installed. So everytime the user is having to select xfce before they enter their username and password. How can i make xfce as the default Xsession for ltsp clients.

Any help is appreciated
Avinash

#2 2009-06-29 14:19:13

Avinash.Rao

Re: Need help in configuring desktop for LTSP clients:

Can anybody tell me how i can have common desktop profiles for all users?

Avinash

#3 2009-06-30 06:00:28

Avinash.Rao

I installed Ubuntu Server 8.04 and this didn't have any GUI.
Then installed XFCE instead of Gnome through apt-get install xfce.
After the installation and reboot, the default desktop session is Gnome! I dont know how this works??? how is this possible???

To check, when i logged in, its only a Ubuntu 8.04 desktop without any panel and menu. How can i change the default desktop to xfce? which is the configuration file?

#4 2009-07-02 03:18:07

Avinash.Rao

Dear all,

I have somehow managed to make xfce the default desktop session.
Also, i am exploring the possibilities of using /etc/skel before creating user accounts to have a common desktop profile.

Regards,
Avinash

Board footer