Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-28 01:51:25

klimas

Xfce session-manager: program exclude

Hi,

I am looking for a way to exclude a program from being "saved" when selecting "save session" on logout. Is there an exlude list somewhere in the configuration directory. I have gone through the documentation and searched the forum to no avail.

My issue is simple, I am running cairo-dock with my xfce desktop, but the new option must be started with a "-c" or "-o" option to avoid an annoying prompt during startup. No problem, I created an autostart with the "cairo-dock -o" option (use OpenGL). Only problem is that now if I save the session on logout and log back in, I get two cairo-docks popping up (one with the annoying prompt as xfce session manager determined that the program "cairo-dock" is running and should be restarted) and then the autostart "cairo-dock -o".

Ok, so i figure that I can work around this using a script called "cairo-dock-gl" which runs "cairo-dock -o" and call that instead. I then removed my autostart link saved my session with the running "cairo-dock-gl" scrip. Well, only one cairo-dock restarted, but I didn't outsmart the session manager as it determined that the "cairo-dock" program was running and ignored the script.

Any help would be appreciated,
klimas

#2 2009-07-28 07:24:56

etnlWings

Re: Xfce session-manager: program exclude

I've had similar issues with the new session manager. I've been able to fix my issues by doing the following:

- Decide what applications you want to be started by the session manager.

- Decide what applications you want to be started by .desktop files in the .config/autostart directory.

- With only the apps to be controlled by the session manager running, logout with, "save session for future logins" ticked.

- Log back in.

- Log out again, this time unticking, "save session for future logins". (Keep this unticked from now on.)

- Log back in and enable your autostarted applications.

From now on, your problems should be cleared up: your session will now be static and as long as you don't save on logout, it won't interfere with the autostart directory and start doubling-up your apps.

#3 2009-07-28 17:24:35

svensson

You could also edit the file .cache/sessions/xfce4-session-"your_machine":0 and comment out our erase the lines you don't want. Do a ls .cache/sessions/ and you'll find the file to edit. Just find the one with your computer name in it. Each entry has about 8-9 lines.

#4 2009-07-28 23:14:54

klimas

etnlWings, I have previously tried exactly what you suggested except when restarting the session manager does not save the "-o" option and therefore the dialogue box appears on restart.

svensson, your suggestion works (removed my autostart .desktop) and modified the

Legacy0_Command=/cairo-dock

to call my modified script that calls cairo-dock with the correct options (would not run cairo-dock if I tried to add the option flags explicitly in the sessions cash file... with and without quotes)

Legacy0_Command=/usr/local/bin/cairo-dock-gl

Unfortunately this still means that if I ever select the "save session" box on logout this file is overwritten and I loose my settings. Does anyone know of any permanent solution?

Thanks for your feedback!
Peter

Board footer