Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-14 14:07:09

u56237z

weird freeze

Hi,

I dont know if this is the correct place to ask, and I dont even know if it is a FreeBSD issue (I think so) or a XFCE one.. Ill post in both forums..

Im runing FreeBSD 7.2 with xfce 4.6.0

yesterday something strange happended and I dontknow what it was, how to prevent it from happening againg or what to do in case..

I was downloading some stuff with rTorrent in a terminal.. and in another terminal I was burning a cd with burncd..

now, after burncd reached 100% it said "fixating cd, please wait.."

after 5 minutes it was still stuck like this.. I did a ^c and nothing.. nor ^d..

I clicked on the other terminal, quit rTorrent and I had my prompt..
now I went with a ps..
and nothing.. after hitting <enter> the shell hunged.. I could still type.. but no answer from the shell..

then I noticed I could click with the mouse in both terminals and flip flop between the two,  but the rest of the desktop was frozen.. no click on the desktop, panels, menu and so on..

I went on a text console, and had my text-based login: prompt
typed root, hit <enter> ..and then again nothing.. no Password: prompt, nothing..

I tried to push the power button to force a reboot but I had on messages:

kernel: acpi: suspend request ignored (not ready yet)
kernel: acpi: request to enter state S5 failed (err 6)

I had to shut down manually..

When I checked /var/log/messages I found nothing.. no messages.. nothing..

any ideas? is there a tool or a log file I can check to find out what happened?

thnx

PS: while I was still in xfce, I noticed a window on the taskbar titled "cursor-<something>" which shouldnt have been there.. but it was iconified and since it was all frozen (except for the two terminals) I couldnt maximize it.. so I dont know what it was..

#2 2009-09-14 18:51:39

ManOfSteel

Re: weird freeze

Start by updating to 4.6.1.

I guess you're using packages with the default settings for pkg_add -r. Is that correct?

In that case you have to override the PACKAGESITE environment variable with a stable repository (in your case packages-7-stable) as described in the note in /usr/share/doc/handbook/packages-using.html

#3 2009-09-15 08:12:00

u56237z

ManOfSteel wrote:

Start by updating to 4.6.1.

I guess you're using packages with the default settings for pkg_add -r. Is that correct?

In that case you have to override the PACKAGESITE environment variable with a stable repository (in your case packages-7-stable) as described in the note in /usr/share/doc/handbook/packages-using.html

uh thanks..

#4 2009-09-15 10:51:14

ManOfSteel

Let us know if it changes anything.

#5 2009-09-15 13:45:08

u56237z

ManOfSteel wrote:

Let us know if it changes anything.

well it'll be hard since ive never seen anything like that happening before..

btw im not sure it was an xfce issue..

Board footer