Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-07 07:31:31

KitchM

Empty Desktop (Resolved)

I have begun to notice what appears to be some instability in Xfce.  Not only has the panel done odd things lately, but the desktop is now completely empty of all icons and files saved.  Although there weren't many there, they disappeared for no reason I can locate.  The last thing I remember doing before this happened was download a file with my browser, and now everything is gone.  Just like that.

I can still use my email client, my browser, music player, etc..  Nothing else seems to be affected.  Reboots didn't change anything.  Everything is still missing and everything else is nominal.

I started using Xfce because it was simpler and was assumed to not get in the way of day-to-day tasks with unnecessary complexity.  If this level of complexity is causing problems, then I shudder to think of the problems with DE's like Gnome and KDE.

Does anyone know what can be happening here?  I would appreciate any ideas.  Could I have changed something without realizing that it might cause this?  It might be that I have a blind spot, but maybe you can show me.

(Arch with Xfce 4.6.1)

Thanks.

#2 2009-10-07 09:25:32

ManOfSteel

Re: Empty Desktop (Resolved)

This is definitely odd and I've never had such problems with 4.6.1 or any other version for that matter.

Are you sure you haven't changed anything under "Settings" > "Desktop" > "Icons" > "Icon type"?

Also, what's the Panel doing exactly?
Note than some Panel *plugins* may sometimes be a little unstable, but the Panel itself works quite well AFAIK.

#3 2009-10-07 12:49:20

s0ulslack

Do you still have a Wallpaper/Right Click Menu?  It kinda sounds like xfdesktop died for whatever reason, or wasn't saved in the Session.  If no wallpaper/right click, try ALT+F2-> xfdesktop.  Save your Session on logout to insure it starts on next login smile

#4 2009-10-07 19:35:16

KitchM

Thanks to all for the responses. You all get an Attaboy or girl, as the case may be.   cool

First, Superman, I realized that I forgot to post that other problem, so I did that here:
http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=5231.0
I am pretty sure these problems are based on a similar or even same issue.  However, the desktop icons have not returned after repeated reboots.

Second, Soulperson, right-click gives me the Xfce main menu.  But I still have my custom selected wallpaper.  The absolutely only change appeared to be the missing icons, unless one counts the context menu as only being the main menu.

Thanks.

#5 2009-10-12 15:31:30

KitchM

Okay, I found the problem.

Menu > Settings > Settings Manager (Settings) > Desktop > Icons > Icon Type > was set to None.  Oops.  :oops:

I must have looked at it a hundred times, and just didn't see it.  There must have been a delay from the time it got changed to the time it took effect.  (It is so misleading when things don't happen right away.)

Sorry everyone.  But thanks for your efforts anyway.

#6 2009-10-13 08:35:25

ManOfSteel

I don't expect people to explore and try things themselves, or to search the documentation, or to use Google, or even to search old posts in this forum, but I usually expect them to at least read other people's replies to their questions when they ask one. Otherwise I don't understand the use of forums/boards.

And no, the effect is applied immediately.

#7 2009-10-14 22:22:00

KitchM

Actually, ManOfSteel, your statement is pretty obvious.  Sadly, you didn't offer the solution; I had to find it on my own.

Also, everyone's permissions and settings are different.  Therefore changes happen in different time frames for different people, and is to be expected.

Board footer