Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-18 18:05:05

guy_c

VLC Media Player won't launch [solved: must run not in superuser]

Hello,

To be able to see avi clips I installed with Syanapic the VLC package which had been categorized under "multimedia". When I launch it nothing happens  :-(. Tried to restart the machine but it does not do any better.

Thanks in advance for your help

Guy

Armada1750, 300MHz, 320MB ram, 20G hdd, XFCE4 squeeze

#2 2009-10-19 08:24:14

ManOfSteel

Re: VLC Media Player won't launch [solved: must run not in superuser]

Have you tried running it from a terminal emulator and looking for errors? You may get better replies on their forum.

But why use a QT-based application under a GTK-based desktop environment when there are many similar and better GTK-based applications?

All I've seen about non-Windows versions of VLC is that they're buggy. The last time I tried it, it launched fine, but used to crash every few seconds while watching any video.

If I were you I'd use mplayer with its native graphical interface or better, with the gnome-mplayer interface. mplayer plays virtually every format out there, including AVIs, FLVs and many more. Plus the interface is GTK-based.

#3 2009-11-03 16:56:07

guy_c

Hello ManOfSteel,

As you said I went to their forum and they suggested just what you did. On the consol I saw that it won't execute as root. I retried logged a <user> and it did run and play the movie however, it did not play the sound.

... So I close this as resolved and reopen thread http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=5267.0

#4 2009-12-09 16:33:21

guy_c

I ended up installing mplayer. It works perfectly and i am now able to listen to music with my ruin. VLC is not recommended

Board footer