Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-08 09:27:53

darkweaver87

Xfce 4.6.1 + themes

Hi every body,

I have troubles using xfce 4.6.1. All themes and icons I downloaded on http://www.xfce-look.org does not work on my machine. The more surprising is it doesn't appear in xfce4-appearance-settings.

I don't know if it's linked but I get the following message:

~ $ xfce4-appearance-settings 

(xfce4-appearance-settings:13865): xfconf-WARNING **: Error check failed at xfconf_channel_get_internal():390: Property "/Xfce/LastCustomDPI" does not exist on channel "xsettings"

I tried to install themes and icons respectively in ~/.themes and ~/.icons, and in /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons but the result is the same.

Even Rodent doesn't work. I have crosses instead of icons.

I run XFCE 4.6.1 on Gentoo with kernel 2.6.30-r6.

Thanks for ideas.

#2 2009-10-20 05:53:45

s0ulslack

Re: Xfce 4.6.1 + themes

Still an issue?

#3 2009-11-11 08:56:04

darkweaver87

Sorry for late and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I still have this issue.

Do you have any idea where the problem comes from ?

#4 2009-11-11 10:54:28

s0ulslack

The LastCustomDPI shouldn't really be an issue, have things ever worked or is this a fresh install of Xfce?  Icons work ok in other WM/DE's (GTK+ apps mainly)?  Try this icon theme here, I know it works as I'm using it atm smile

Other then that your doing everything correctly, themes to ~/.themes or icons to ~/.icons (/usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons are correct for system wide access).

#5 2009-11-14 17:56:33

darkweaver87

I have the same problem ... half of all icons are displayed ...

My issue may be better illustrated with a screenshot:

deskto10.png

I have the same issue on my computer at work with a Debian Lenny.  :?

#6 2009-12-28 21:35:15

KitchM

I've had the same problem in various environments and/or programs.  It appears that the applet-icon-theme link is broken by some part of the software not recognizing another part.

For instance, if I program an app to have certain hooks for other inputs besides the defaults (say for icons, as an example), and I publish the information for other people to use, then the problem is on the part of those who use it.  Maybe they didn't associate everything correctly to substitute with the defaults.  If, on the other hand, I fail to publish that information clearly or I don't keep consistent with my own published information within my app's coding, then the problem is mine, the programmer.  The only other possibility is that the environment did not protect that relationship and something else that would normally have nothing to do with that has affected it.

Your example clearly shows that the name is correct for each particular applet, but the icons were removed in the substitution process and not replaced by those in the theme.  Can you list the icons available in the theme and see if they have been provided? 

Also, are there some applets missing?  See my Settings Manager below.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=28&g2_serialNumber=1

Board footer