Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-09 18:48:53

SpaceAgeMinds

Default Theme setup Question/Problem

Hi, I am a new member of the community but have been reading around for a couple of weeks so far. This is my situation in which I can not seem to find a solution for on the forums or in the documentation. I have two Debian based systems (Ubuntu, and a basic Xfce Debian install) I configured my desktop on the Debian machine and really like it and want to copy it to the Ubuntu machine. I am not talking about the background, Icons, etc. I want to copy panel positions, size, and other aspects. I have looked around and found that the information is stored in the "/etc/xdg/xfce/panels.xml"(?) but when I copy it from one computer to the other the settings don't seem to stick. Also I would like to have these panel dimensions as the default layout when I create a new account. Any help, advice, or links pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thank you.

#2 2009-11-09 19:23:30

Wapush

Re: Default Theme setup Question/Problem

Hi and welcome to the Xfce forum.

The panel settings stored in "/etc/xdg/xfce4/panel/" are those for the default system settings. Your personnal panel settings are in "~/.config/xfce4/panel/" (~ means "/home/your-user-name/").

#3 2009-11-13 21:47:49

SpaceAgeMinds

So in order to make my Debian settings the default on my Xubuntu system I would copy "~/.config/xfce4/panel/"(Debian System) into '/etc/xdg/xfce4/panel/"(Xubuntu System)? I will try that but I think I tried this and the settings just didn't stick.

Thanks

#4 2009-11-14 00:26:35

Wapush

If you're the only user of your Xubuntu system, copy it in "~/.config/xfce4/panel/".

#5 2009-11-23 03:30:00

SpaceAgeMinds

So I tried what was discussed in the posts above with no luck.  Is there any way to change the default settings for panels at all? eg. When I make a new user in xubuntu instead of saying applications it says something like menu or start or instead of the fonts being the default xubuntu size they are a different size? im not just trying to copy the setting over (copy from ~/.config/.. on this machine to ~/.config/.. on the other) I am trying to have the setting stick and be the new defaults so any new user I set up on this machine automatically have these UI settings.

Thank you for your help.

#6 2009-11-24 18:04:35

Wapush

Hi

Xubuntu uses "/etc/xdg/xubuntu/" for their default configurations, but I don't recommend  its use. This folder like other settings in "/etc/xdg" may be overwritten by an update. It would be more appropriate to use "/etc/skel/". All files and folders in "/etc/skel/" (.congig, .themes, .icons, .local, .fonts, etc.) will be automatically added in the home folder of new created users (at least with the "adduser" script).

Board footer