Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-23 09:11:16

Peter_Ziegler

Bind an application to a workspace

Hello friends,
I use the actual sidux xfce distribution on my laptop an have two little problems:
I use six workspaces for my different applications and I want to bind these apps to the workspaces but with some applications it does not function. I want to use PCManFM as filemanager on workspace 2. When I change to workspace 3 and restart my computer the filemanager starts on the last activ workspace in my exampel on workspace 3. How can I bind the application fix to workspace 2 after a restart?
The other problem:
I use thunderbird on workspace 1 and iceweasel (firefox) on workspace 3. If I receive a mail with an URL within and I click on this URL iceweasel move to workspace 1. A change to workspace 3 with the call of this URL in iceweasel would be better. Each application should stay on the defined workspace.

Is there available a solution for these little problems?

Greetz
Peter

#2 2009-11-23 17:47:52

s0ulslack

Re: Bind an application to a workspace

Hey Peter,

You could try devilspie for window matching and perform certain actions, suck as move to work space etc.

GL

#3 2009-11-23 20:36:14

Peter_Ziegler

Hi s0ulslack,
maybe that devilspie can solve my problems but I don't want to use (and learn) a complex third party tool for such a simple thing which KDE features already for years. I'm not a programmer but I think it cannot be a great project to bind an application to a defined workspace.

Greetz
Peter

#4 2009-11-24 18:12:39

Wapush

Peter_Ziegler wrote:

The other problem:
I use thunderbird on workspace 1 and iceweasel (firefox) on workspace 3. If I receive a mail with an URL within and I click on this URL iceweasel move to workspace 1. A change to workspace 3 with the call of this URL in iceweasel would be better. Each application should stay on the defined workspace.

Hi

http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#window_manager

#5 2009-11-28 03:42:45

pablo

Peter_Ziegler wrote:

maybe that devilspie can solve my problems but I don't want to use (and learn) a complex third party tool for such a simple thing which KDE features already for years. I'm not a programmer but I think it cannot be a great project to bind an application to a defined workspace.

Hi Peter,

`devilspie' isn't very complicated.  I too recently switched from KDE to Xfce and was longing for the ability to make windows sticky, etc, etc.

I like to have `kontact' on workspace one.  Here's my `devilspie' script to make it so:

(if (is (window_class) "Kontact")
   (begin
      (set_workspace 1)
   )
)

Here's the tutorial I used this morning:  http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/25/ … -in-gnome/

Here's my script to have `pidgin' (and its children windows) always appear on every workspace:

(if (is (window_class) "Pidgin")
   (begin
      (pin)
   )
)

The one thing to remember is to always end your scripts with `.ds' and to only put one command in each file.

Cheers,
-pablo

Board footer