Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 10:17:13

faabrizio

[solved] Keyboard shortcuts sporadic problems

I am using Xfce 4.6.1 on Xubuntu 9.04 64 bits.

Sometimes, some of my user-defined application shortcuts do not work. In these cases, they do not work at all for the current session. Restarting the session sometimes solves the issue.

I checked with xev that the correct codes are sent from the keyboard. I can even reassign the shortcuts in the keyboard settings panel.

When the problem occurs, changing the repetition rate or delay in the keyboard settings panel does not have any effect. So it seems to be a problem related to the whole keyboard config. But the shortcuts for the window manager work well.

This post is merely a call to know if someone else is experiencing such problems. If anyone has got a hint on how to investigate this problem, I am all ears.

Thanks for any hint you can give me,
F.

#2 2010-01-04 23:00:24

s0ulslack

Re: [solved] Keyboard shortcuts sporadic problems

Make sure that xfce4-settings-helper is running, sounds like it isn't.  Once its started, you can save your Session on logout or just add xfce4-settings-helper to Auto Started Apps (Settings-> Session & Startup)

Hope that helps

#3 2010-01-05 10:26:19

faabrizio

It helps indeed. When the problem occurs, i manually launch xfce4-settings-helper and it works.

I saved my session with xfce4-settings-helper launched, and haven't seen the problem yet. So thanks for you help.

Getting a bit deeper into autostart and session save schemes I realised these are, AFAIU, separate mechanism. I have an entry for xfce4-settings-helper in my .config/autostart called : xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop, which contains no more than :
[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true

I wonder if it is useful. I searched the wiki for info on these points but merely found outdated info (reference to a xfce4-autostart-editor...). If anyone as a pointer to information on these points, it would be nice to share.

Thanks.

#4 2010-01-05 14:02:27

s0ulslack

iirc, the Autostart stuff is part of a fdo (freedesktop.org) spec. Under Session & Startup-> Session you'll see all the running apps, set the Restart style of xfce4-settings-helper to Immediately to make sure its automagically restarted if it happens to die, for whatever reason.

#5 2010-01-24 17:34:57

haarp

Sorry to revive this thread, but sometimes I have the same problem. Although in my case, settings-helper is running. Killing the process and restarting it restores key combinations though. That's a bug I guess.
It's a shame. xbindkeys had exactly the same problem for me, and I was glad to get rid of it in favor of Xfce's custom key combinations sad

Board footer