Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-15 05:55:45

lupitasosa

Grandfather clock

Hi. I know that maybe you will be annoyed by my question, but I don't know where else to turn.  I love the sound of clocks, and I found this Grandfather clock for Ubuntu, but I don't understand the instructions to install it.  My son tells me that it doesn't work, but I doubt it because I've seen it in various web pages.  Please, if somebody could help me giving me more specific instructions of how to install it,  I will be eternally grateful.

http://www.sourcefiles.org/Toys/Clocks/

#2 2010-01-15 10:22:35

ManOfSteel

Re: Grandfather clock

There seems to be not one but many of these clocks in that directory. Each file you see there is a separate clock application.

I just picked a WindowMaker clock that you can see here. These are normal source code archives, so it's usually done in the following way:
* tar -xvf wmclock-0.2.tar.gz
* cd wmclock-0.2
* make && make install

Note that most of these applications have dependencies. According to its readme, this one for example needs gdk_pixbuf (which must be part of GTK, if I'm not mistaken).

Now, if you mean precisely the clock called grandfatherclock-1.0.1.tar.gz, then it's even easier. Just extract it (using tar as above), move the different directories according to the ./grandfatherclock-1.0.1/doc/INSTALL file, and execute the /usr/bin/grandfatherclock shell script.
Looking at the script, it seems all it does is play a .au for every sound a normal clock does. As advised in the INSTALL, you can install it as a cron job for "scheduled ringing", hehe. Read your system's man cron if you don't know what it means or how to do it.

#3 2010-01-18 07:29:05

brain)(vision
Website

only to understand what this grandfatherclock was, I downloaded it and untar.. I saw a bin directory so I went there and executed the binary grandfatherclock.. I think it could work even locally, without installing it in the usually way..
But it gaves me a similar rsult..

brainvision@hal9002:~/Desktop/grandfatherclock-1.0.1/bin% ./grandfatherclock 
cat: Grandfather.au: No such file or directory
Unable to execute >cat Grandfather.au > /dev/audio: No such file or directory at ./grandfatherclock line 210.

Maybe I can solve the problem doing a symbolic link to my real audio device in /dev/audio? I don't want to install an application that I don't know.. or maybe someone could tell me what it is.. or post a screenshoot!!  ;D

leonardo
-linux user #483530
-registered machine 403135 --> hal9002
-registered machine 394211 --> hal9001

#4 2010-01-18 10:53:08

ManOfSteel

Check my post above.

.au are not found in your case because you tried it locally. The .au are stored in a lib directory IIRC. The shell script is looking for them there. So you can run it locally if you modify it or modify AUDIO_DIRECTORY in the rc file (grandfatherclockrc).

I only checked the source last time so no screenshot, but I don't think there could be a screenshot. AFAICT this one has no graphical interface and just sound the time on intervals.

#5 2010-01-18 10:58:02

brain)(vision
Website

ok, thank you very much, you've been so clear..!

leonardo
-linux user #483530
-registered machine 403135 --> hal9002
-registered machine 394211 --> hal9001

Board footer