Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-01 18:41:05

Pindakoe

Preferred browser no longer starts FF3.6

I recently upgraded from Firefox 3.0 to FF3.6. As my version of Mandriva is still on 3.0 I choose to do a 'manual' install, i.e. download the linux tarball from mozzila and extract in /opt/firefox3.6/. Starting FF from command-line or via a launcher works and all browsing/plugins work as advertised.

What does not work are http links in email (I use claws as mail client). I have set the BROWSER variable and exported it (verified by executing $BROWSER from command-line) and I have also set the browser in 'preferred applications'. Lastly I have also verified that ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/%gconf.xml (and ditto for https) have (what I believe to be) the right entry:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
    <entry name="needs_terminal" mtime="1264234375" type="bool" value="false"/>
    <entry name="enabled" mtime="1264234375" type="bool" value="true"/>
    <entry name="command" mtime="1264234375" type="string">
        <stringvalue>/opt/firefox3.6/firefox &quot;%s&quot;</stringvalue>
    </entry>
</gconf>

Can anybody point me in the right direction on this one?

#2 2010-02-01 18:51:58

DMcCunney

Re: Preferred browser no longer starts FF3.6

Pindakoe wrote:

Can anybody point me in the right direction on this one?

I don't use Mandriva, but I can make guesses.  How are you starting Firefox?

I run FF under Ubuntu with Xfce.  I can run FF from its own directory by executing the Firefox script, and I can create a desktop launcher that runs it that way.

But various other things expect Firefox to be in the $PATH.  Try creating a symlink from the firefox script wherever you installed it into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, and see if that addresses your [problem.
______
Dennis

#3 2010-02-02 04:27:09

etnlWings

This may seem like a dumb suggestion but just to cover all our bases:

In Firefox, go to Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General tab and down the bottom in System Defaults, click the, "Check Now", button.

#4 2010-02-02 18:10:41

Pindakoe

@DMcCunney: it is not in the PATH. Will chaneg and see whetehr this works. Launcher works (but has the full path). I assumed that listing the full path in default applications stored it; this may not be true. Will test and get back.

#5 2010-02-03 19:45:43

Pindakoe

I have now added the location of firefox (/opt/firefox3.6) to my path. Just typing firefox on cli confirms that this works. Clicking on a link in email still deson't work however.

#6 2010-02-04 12:48:14

etnlWings

Perhaps you can post the contents of the script you created.

#7 2010-02-04 18:56:51

Pindakoe

Aaaargh!  :-|

Just had an epiphany (or just an attack of common sense): all my Xfce settings were correct, but claws (my mail client) has its own way of defining mail client (and other helpers). That was still stuck on 'mozilla-firefox' as command; this is no longer valid for Firefox 3.6 (or not for the way mozilla distributes it; may be Mandriva re-packaged it slightly different). Set that correctly and all is well.

(note to self: will count to 20 before posting and check obvious sources of errors)

#8 2010-02-04 19:08:37

DMcCunney

Pindakoe wrote:

Aaaargh!  :-|

Just had an epiphany (or just an attack of common sense): all my Xfce settings were correct, but claws (my mail client) has its own way of defining mail client (and other helpers). That was still stuck on 'mozilla-firefox' as command; this is no longer valid for Firefox 3.6 (or not for the way mozilla distributes it; may be Mandriva re-packaged it slightly different). Set that correctly and all is well.

(note to self: will count to 20 before posting and check obvious sources of errors)

<grin>

Not to worry.  I think we've all had those "D'Oh!" moments, where we pound our head on the desk and say "I'm stupid!  I should have thought of that first!" when we realize what was going on. tongue

At least you got it sorted, and the thread here may be useful for others in a similar position.
______
Dennis

Board footer