Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-21 16:28:13

brain)(vision
Website

Compiz Config icons, xfce menu and watchmail plugin

Hello again everybody there at xfce.org!

A lot of time is passed since the first time I used xfce for the first time.. and I'm still here, never change my desktop environment! I'm proud to say this!, but probably it's important only for me.. smile

So, maybe the question I'll make will result as answered a lot of time, but I'm not able to find those answers!

1. I've installed Compiz and everything works extremely well: I have only one issue, not important but I love perfect things.. I lost all the icons in the Compiz Configuration Center (or as it names in english): for every icon I have just the default one.. I'm sure that I've just read about this problem elsewhere.. but where?

2. How to change the menu entries? I'm installing some applications through wine, and they all go in the Accessories menu, and this isn't really good!

3. I'm not able to make the mailwatch plugin work for some email address I have with the italian email provider www.email.it.. There's a way to know why only those address doesn't work with the plugin? Another issue of this plugin is that it shows me every time the total amount of mail I have in the Inbox folder of my GMail account, instead of telling only about the unread emails.. For mailwatch plugin they are all unread!!! Idem with yahoo account..

Speaking of the panel plugin, I must admit that xfce  have to make some work on it because they always lack of something!, but I prefer xfce (and slackware, because with others distro is not the same) approach at the question: I don't like at al Gnome or KDE desktop that install every plasma or applet by default, even if I don't need them!

That's all.. Thank you very much for paying attention, I hope to see you soon!
Have a nice day!

leonardo
-linux user #483530
-registered machine 403135 --> hal9002
-registered machine 394211 --> hal9001

#2 2010-02-21 19:40:04

s0ulslack

Re: Compiz Config icons, xfce menu and watchmail plugin

2.) There are probably some annoying .desktop entries in ~/.local/share/applications/ some where, poke around for'em.  You might also wanna read over http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

#3 2010-02-23 15:54:26

brain)(vision
Website

hi s0ulslack,

thank you very much for your quickly reply.. you're always the first how answer my question!, thank you very much again!

I'm sorry but I'm a little confused about the menu question. I've explored the home folder and I saw that wine applications are present in more than one place.. I'll be more specific..

1. in ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/     there are files that seems to be link or similar..
2. ~/.local/share/applications there is the largest number of wine files.. notepad, winebrowser ecc., all repeated 2 times.. and a directory with the structure wine/Programmi/Exact Audio Copy/"files" where files is the 4 link of EAC..

I don't where I've to make my changes..

leonardo
-linux user #483530

#4 2010-02-23 18:56:24

s0ulslack

hrm, I'm not sure about ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/ never heard it mentioned and don't use wine myself.  For the others in ~/.local/share/applications/ thought you can just add "NoDisplay=True" to the .desktop file or just remove them all together.  Just add that line/remove the ones that you don't want for entries into your menu.

I usually check the forum several times a day to filter users and see if theres anything I can reply to, no biggie smile

#5 2010-02-23 21:41:45

gnome_refugee

Re: wine items on xfce menu. Why not add a Launcher menu to your panel, that is, a home-made menu of applications?

I also have a Wine application (ArcView GIS) started from another launcher menu, one for *documents*. The particular launcher fires up 'tas_general.apr'. Here's how it works:

(1) The launcher calls xdg-open /home/bob/Z_Spatial_data/tas_general.apr

(2) Thunar knows that '.apr' means an ArcView file because I created the mime type file below, added it to /usr/share/mime/packages, and ran sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

#This is 'arcview.xml'

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns='http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info'>
    <mime-type type="application/x-example">
        <comment>ArcView project</comment>
        <glob pattern="*.apr"/>
    </mime-type>
</mime-info>

(3) When Thunar is asked to open a '.apr' document, it finds my script 'arcview.sh', which looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

QUICKPARLOCATION="c:\\ESRI\\AV_GIS30\\ARCVIEW\\BIN32\\arcview.exe"
PARAM=`winepath -w "$*"`
wine "$QUICKPARLOCATION" "$PARAM"

exit 0

Works very well.

#6 2010-02-24 04:57:44

etnlWings

It's a bit of a messy process but to get a Wine menu category, with all wine apps appearing in it, you need to mirror what I've done here:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6996/bib.jpg

in .local/share/desktop-directories/, you need to create a text file called wine-wine.directory, containing:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Directory
Name=Wine
Icon=wine

in .local/share/applications/, you need to open up any wine launchers in a text editor and either edit the Categories= line, or create the Categories= line, with Wine; as the only category.

in .config/menus/, you need to add the following to your xfce-applications.menu file, somewhere between the other categories (not at the top or bottom of the file, nor in the middle of another category):

<Menu>
        <Name>Wine</Name>
        <Directory>wine-wine.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>Wine</Category>
            <Category>Wine-Programs-Accessories</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>

#7 2010-02-24 13:22:35

brain)(vision
Website

ok.. here I am..

first of all, I've solved the menu problem.. I don't know exactly how, but for now the application that I installed with wine has its submenu.

The solution proposed by gnome_refugee is really nice and useful, I'll use it for other application that I care more than the wine ones (is right, in english? or is wine's ones?)
So, this solution is very useful, but in this particular case doesn't suit my needs, just because is an application that I use not so often to justify a panel link.

etnlWings is been very very accurate! I've to say that the wine's way to create and manage links is complicated and confused! There are many links for the same application in many place.. and there are also the mime applications like notepad that automatically appears in the right-clock menu and automatically open the text files (not any more, I've changed this option back to mausepad, but this fact makes me remember the ugly days of winZoZZ smile ).
I've also found and used those two links:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=37848
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p … 32#p218091

but, for example, in the second link, they talk of this directory

/etc/xdg/menus/

that I don't have! This directory, in my slackware, is located in

/etc/xfce/xdg/menus

while the first is empty!

boh!, I must repeat myself: I'm confused.. I need to make some experiences on menu to better understand how they work. Now the only problem is that the new wine's menu entry doesn't have an icon, but I think I'll be able to solve this fact.. I hope!

Anyway, thank you very much at all of us! Thank you s0ulslack, gnome_refugee  and etnlWings, your help is been decisive!

Now I would like to solve the others questions I've asked at the beginning of the thread.. The icons problem in the Compiz Configurstion Manager and the problem of the MailWatch plugin.. I hope somebody could suggest me something about!

See you soon, man, thank you again!

leonardo
-linux user #483530

#8 2010-02-25 11:14:41

brain)(vision
Website

Hello again, men..

I've another question to ask and I prefer to do it here instead of open a new thread on the forum..
The question is: I usually use 3 desktop workspaces, but there's always a conflict with the Compiz workspaces.. When I started Compiz for the first times they automatically became 4 because of the desktop cube plugin.. The problem is that closing compiz, or restarting the session (I don't have compiz automatically launched at the login) the xfce desktop is only 1!! It happens practically every time I use Compiz!
I can't understand where the problem starts! Somebody have done experience with tnat?

Thank in advance, men..!

leonardo
-linux user #483530

#9 2010-02-26 02:20:18

etnlWings

Compiz doesn't handle workspaces the same way Xfwm does. In CompizConfig, you can set the number of, "viewports", to 3 in General Options>Desktop Size>Horizontal Virtual Size. Don't change the "Number of Desktops", as this doesn't play nicely with compiz's plugins. This won't fix Xfwm being reduced to 1 workspace, when switching window managers.

#10 2010-02-26 09:34:12

brain)(vision
Website

etnlWings wrote:

Compiz doesn't handle workspaces the same way Xfwm does. In CompizConfig, you can set the number of, "viewports", to 3 in General Options>Desktop Size>Horizontal Virtual Size. Don't change the "Number of Desktops", as this doesn't play nicely with compiz's plugins. This won't fix Xfwm being reduced to 1 workspace, when switching window managers.

thanks etnlWings, your answer is the right solution, but I've just solved this issue speaking with the guys of the #compiz channel at freenode chat.

so this problem is solved, but I've noticed that doing so, the cube effect isn't working anymore when I select a desktop from the workspaces plugin: it only works if I set back the options "Number of Desktops" to 1..
maybe do you know why is this happening?

thank you for your help!

leonardo
-linux user #483530

Board footer