Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-23 05:09:35

gnome_refugee

[SOLVED] GUI-based text editor with more features?

I use Gedit for two reasons: it has syntax highlighting and it allows you to have multiple documents open on a tabbed interface. Neither of these features is available in Leafpad or Mousepad.

Gedit, however, depends on Gnome doc-utils. I'm looking for a non-Gnomish replacement for Gedit that has Gedit's simplicity. (E.g, Geany is a GTK+ editor with tabs and syntax highlighting but also has a lot more, and is far from simple.)

Any suggestions?

#2 2010-03-23 17:18:39

Snood

Re: [SOLVED] GUI-based text editor with more features?

Well, shucks. I was going to suggest Geany, but it seems you've already considered it and rejected it as too complex?

Once you get used to it, it's not complex. You can customize the interface and the behavior of the editor to get rid of a lot of the advanced options, if they're what's bothering you.

Hey, it has to be pretty simple, or I wouldn't be able to use it!

Another favorite is Bluefish, another GTK editor. I think it's more or less similar to Geany with the two packages showing slightly different emphases respecting the facets of html and code handling.

#3 2010-03-23 23:47:44

gnome_refugee

Hi, snood.

Yes, tried Geany, too many bells and whistles. But I've now found the replacement I wanted:

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Very clean and better menus than Geany.

#4 2010-03-24 00:17:19

Snood

That's nice. I'm going to check that one out. I'm pretty comfortable with Geany, but editors are one of my favorite things to play with. And I'm thinking that this one may suit my wife. She just came over to Debian from Windows and needed a replacement for Crimson Editor. (I heard they're supposed to be bringing Crimson Editor / Emerald Editor out for Linux, but haven't been keeping up with the project.)

Thanks for posting the link, and have fun with your new editor.

#5 2010-03-24 01:31:06

gnome_refugee

There ought to be a forum for Windows-wives/husbands/partners-whose-wives/husbands/partners-persuaded-them-to-migrate-to-Linux. They could look for peer support there in addition to asking 'How do I...?' every hour during the first few weeks smile My wife has been a Linux immigrant for 8 months now and seems pretty happy, apart from trying to juggle spreadsheet capabilities between Gnumeric, OpenOffice Calc and Excel...

#6 2010-03-24 11:30:49

Snood

apart from trying to juggle spreadsheet capabilities between Gnumeric, OpenOffice Calc and Excel...

Yeah, she's taking to OpenOffice Calc like a duck to water. She got used to using it on the Windows side, so no problems there. She's already written replacements for macros and got used to the different way that certain keystrokes work.

I think she's going to like SciTE. I think I'm going to like it, too. It might not work for some of my projects, but it is an awfully nice piece of software design. The simplest tool that will do the job effectively is always best.

Board footer