Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-04 00:49:05

wa7qzr

xfce4-settings-4.6.5, _XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent

Hi all;
I'm an abandoned-by-Fedora user, running Fedora 7. Can't abandon my existing apps so I'm stuck here.

I've managed to install all of 4.6.2, (and it works) except for xfce4-settings-4.6.5. I've tried searching out a workaround to _XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent which I understand is fixed in later versions of xorg (running xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-17.fc7), which are not easily available to me (easily as in I have no idea how much I would end up trashing my system by trying to compile the server).

Is there a workaround to this problem, or should I just forget about this and stick with what Fedora 7 came with? Would be a shame though, because everything else works (I did install glib2 and a perl module, but that was no problem).

Thanks,
Mike

#2 2010-09-04 22:23:28

mueller

Re: xfce4-settings-4.6.5, _XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent

Sorry but which application made you stick to a fedora version from 2007. I would highly recommend an upgrade to a supported version.

#3 2010-09-05 07:27:34

wa7qzr

Sheesh, you guys are here too, I see. You know, 2007 is just three years ago, not 30-years ago. It seems I can't post questions like this anywhere without being told to hop on the upgrade wagon and spend all my time upgrading and reconfiguring applications, instead of doing real work with my computers: like controlling radio receivers and positioning parabolic antennas through controller cards I also built, for example. (I have an old IMSAI-8080 running CP/M that controls a wood stove in the winter: I believe in making things work and then leaving them alone to do their jobs, you see.) Programs that I wrote many years ago, (in assembly language), which perform those tasks,  run on DOS, (I started moving to Linux with Red Hat 5), which just happens to run flawlessly when DOS is running on VMware Server 1 which was interestingly enough abandoned by VMware about the same time Fedora abandoned release 7. None of the other available virtualization solutions perform properly with my apps.

All I wanted was a workaround for that settings module but, I suppose I really don't need it seeing as compiling one of the other modules w/embedded settings enabled seems to work okay for me.

If I had time, I could port everything to Centos. I have a server running Centos now that is pretty stable and doesn't upgrade every 35-seconds, like Fedora seems to do (pardon my exaggeration), but there is that time thing again. So, if there's no workaround for the settings module, I'll do without it. The last thing I'll be doing is upgrading because some developer believes he has to change everything so he can plug his stupid iPad into his PC (or whatever motivates the change-agents.in distro world).

#4 2010-09-07 15:26:41

mueller

Then choose a distro which fits your needs better. -.-
btw how much time did you spend finding a solution for this problem? Wouldn't it be easier to just do an upgrade to a recent version what also would be a much better choice in terms of security...

#5 2010-09-07 17:15:19

wa7qzr

"... just do an upgrade ..."

Oh man, you really are a one trick pony, aren't you.

#6 2010-09-09 20:24:40

herd
Website

Hi wa7qzr,

if you are indeed capable to compile 4.6.2 on fedora 7 with assembly language programmer background, why not patch xfce4-settings-4.6.5 to work around the XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent issue? Shouldn't be too hard to hunt it down and C is only a glorified macro assembler anyway wink

Board footer