Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-30 00:05:31

the98

Can't unmount Pendrive when mounted from "Save as..." box

Well, I think the title speaks for itself. Xfce version is 4.6.2, under Debian Squeeze.

This is the thing, if I mount a pendrive from Thunar or Xfdesktop, I have no problem unmounting the device. Now, if I'm using a program, like Mousepad or Open Office, the drive is not mounted, I choose to save the file and click on the device's icon (so it's mounted and opened) save the file, and then try to unmount either from Thunar or Xfdesktop, it says that it has been manually mounted from a command line.

When comparing ls -l in /media, this are the results:

Mounted from "Save As..." box:

drwx------ 3 universal universal  4096 sep 29 20:46 KINGSTON

Mounted from Thunar or Xfdesktop:

drwxr-xr-x 3 universal root       4096 dic 31  1969 KINGSTON

What I don't understand is that in both cases the owner of dir KINGSTON is user "universal", and, again in both cases, the user has Read, Write, and Execute permissions. In theory, both situations should be able to unmount the drive. But maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyway, do you think this is a Bug? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-09-30 18:46:51

herd
Website

Re: Can't unmount Pendrive when mounted from "Save as..." box

This is probably related to the policykit rules.

Check if you have a file named /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy

there, the related sections should contain:

<defaults>
      <allow_any>no</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>

This may not be the case in squeeze, but in lucid it just works.

#3 2010-10-01 14:03:48

the98

I have that file with those sections. But what should I do with it?

I mean, I don't care about the "problem", it's just that I think it shouldn't happen that way. If it's mounted by a user, the user should be able to unmount, no matter where the user mounted from.

Cheers.

#4 2010-10-02 11:04:56

etnlWings

Thunar/xfdesktop/xfce4-panel are still dependant upon HAL for mounting/unmounting, which records it's mount history to /media/.hal-mtab. Gtk+ file picker/save dialogues use gvfs (which leverage udisks, IIRC) to perform these operations, which doesn't leave the appropriate breadcrumbs for HAL to then read, to figure out how to unmount the drive. There's potentially a good reason for this behaviour, although I cannot tell you what it is.

Regardless, I suggest you get used to mounting your drives ahead of time, with either one of the panel plugins (there's a couple, incl. the places plugin), thunar, or xfdesktop - at least until Xfce 4.8 brings with it the gvfs rewrite of thunar, xfdesktop and the panel plugins.

Board footer