Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-10 23:11:43

Hatta

Why can't I disable the trash?

I read the FAQ and found that I cannot disable the trash.  Is there a reason for this?  I can understand enabling the trash by default, but it should be an option that can be toggled.   When I say delete, I mean delete.  My computer should not overrule me. 

I'm just tired of having my disk drive fill up because nothing is actually being deleted.  I delete things because I need space.  Holding shift-delete is not an acceptable alternative, I can't remember to do that.   I only remember when my drive fills up, at which point I curse XFCE.  Why can't it work properly?

We all know that implementing this option would be trivial.  It would also have no negative effects on those who don't enable that option.  If it's worth space in the FAQ this must be something people frequently ask about.  So why not implement it? Honestly? 

At this point I just use the CLI for all my file management needs.  I know you guys have some pride in your product, or you wouldn't be doing this.  I urge you, you can make Thunar a better file manager than the CLI.  All it would take is a simple option. Implement it, it will make XFCE better.

#2 2010-10-11 21:09:33

stqn

Re: Why can't I disable the trash?

You can make a custom action that calls "rm -rf".

#3 2020-09-11 06:43:53

Gew

Still no thoughts (from dev's side) on making the recycle bin optional?

#4 2020-09-11 10:33:03

ToZ
Administrator

@Gew, this is quite an old thread. In newer versions of Thunar, there is an option on the Behaviour tab to bypass the trash.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer