Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-30 14:54:27

monkey22

I wanna remove gnome!

Hello everyone! welll....I want to say I am In love with xfce! I use fedora for a lot of time with gnome, but now i only want to keep the xfce!

My problem is this: i donw know what programs brings xfce in fedora and whats brings gnome with fedora....if someone know how can i totally use de touchpad i will thanks a lot!

Have a great day!

#2 2010-10-30 18:19:01

Hezy
Website

Re: I wanna remove gnome!

mokey22, you can look at the source code of Xfce and see what's in it: http://www.ca-us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.6.2/src/

But as you can see there is not that much there... because Xfce is only part of your system. You also have the Linux kernel, GNU tools, and many other programs from other sources. Some of them may have their origin in the Gnome project, and there's nothing wrong about it. If the maintainers of your distro decided to use some Gnome components, they probably had a good reason for it. If you want to have a "pure" Xfce, maybe Fedora is not the right distro for you. You might want to look for a more Xfce centered distro. But I suspect that even there you will find some components from Gnome. You can also just build your own system one component at a time, and it might even be fun, but it will probably take time and effort. My suggestion is to use the software your favorite distro has, maybe replace some apps with those you like. Whether any component came from Gnome or not should not matter.

keep on rockin' in the free world

#3 2010-10-30 18:32:01

dmaphy
Website

Try

yum grouplist

to find out how the groups are named, then

yum groupremove "GNOME groupsomething"

and

yum groupinstall "XFCE groupsomething"

#4 2011-01-08 17:41:31

escapingsummer

Fedora is a gnome based system. I know it supports other desktop environments and window managers, however the greater portion of their innovation and support efforts are focused towards gnome. The xfce install on fedora relies on a few gnome programs like network manager and a lot of the administrative services they have provided. Personally I feel there is nothing wrong with gnome or other desktop environments I just have grown to like the speed and modular design of xfce. You can however tweak the system like I have, and if you need to you can install revisor and create your own spin of fedora with your choice of applications.

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

Desktop- Fedora XFCE x86_64
Netbook- Modified Fedora 14 security spin -fluxbox/Fedora XFCE

Board footer