Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-17 15:58:57

Tony Bloomfield

Hello and a shutdown question

Newbie (to XFCE) here, an old retired programmer who's getting fed up with the way KDE seems to be going.

I installed XFCE4.6 from my openSuse11.3 distro because I'm familiar with the Suse installer. I may look at trying something more bleeding edge when I have a bit more XFCE experience.

My question: I've found the autostart facility, to run scripts etc when I log on. Is there any similar facility to run stuff when I log out? A search on 'shudown' in the forum gave no clues.

As an alternative, running scripts at system shutdown may be okay, but I'd prefer it to happen at log out.

Cheers,
TonyB

#2 2010-12-19 10:30:47

mmassonnet
Website

Re: Hello and a shutdown question

There is nothing in place for running logout scripts.

You can however, through an existing script, add commands while logging out. This should be .xinitrc or .xsession.

Example with .xinitrc:

command-before-starting-up-X
startxfce4
command-after-logout

Of course you have to login with startx or a diplay login/manager that runs the concerned script.

HTH

Mike

#3 2011-01-04 10:19:52

Tony Bloomfield

That works fine, many thanks.

#4 2011-01-08 13:00:59

Tony Bloomfield

Maybe I spoke too soon. Including the shutdown commands in .xinitrc works fine when I just logout from the userid, but if I do a system shutdown, the commands start but seem to get killed before terminating. Obviously further investigation is needed! I think this is about the only issue now stopping me from switching from KDE to XFCE.

Board footer