Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-17 22:07:13

mjbjr

xfce4-4.8 Panel issues

I miss the graphical panel properties positioning widget (top/bottom,lcr   sides,tcb)

I like that the panel can be put anywhere on the desktop

We lost panel horizontal auto-centering.  We need auto-centering for both H & V.

There's a check box for automatic expansion, is there automatic contraction?
As a developer, how do you arrive at a point where you make one available but not the other?

All panel items (buttons, ?) should have a border property.
The 'Applications Menu' panel item needs this.

The Orage Panel Clock won't install to panel.  It keeps showing "unexpectedly left panel".
It will appear opened on the desktop (for some reason), but won't appear in the panel.
It does start, there are 'pids' for each time I tried to get it installed in the panel.
The 'pids' show up as panel items in Settings Manager -> Panel settings.

Also, in Settings Manager -> Calendar (Orage) Preferences there is a check box for "Show in taskbar".
What "Taskbar"?  There is no mention of "Taskbar" in Settings Manager or in the panel items list.
Selecting "Show in taskbar" frequently, but not always, causes an icon to appear on the desktop.
There are also check boxes for "Show in page" and "Show in systray", two items which I
can't find anywhere in the Settings Manager or as panel items.

I really like 'Orage' and don't like having to settle for the panel 'Clock'... can't the tooltip show
most/all of the 'strftime' hints... or a hint to see 'man strftime' for complete format?

The Applications Menu doesn't have icons for most of the default items.
When I 'right-click' on the desktop to bring up the Apps Menu, the (same) items without an icon
have an icon box with a red 'X' in it.

In 'Settings', the 'Accessibility', 'Appearance', 'Desktop', 'Display', 'Keyboard', and 'Mouse' choices
don't have icons, just text.

Something of a disappointment after "two years of development", and that's after only working
with one of the XFCE features.

#2 2011-01-18 08:56:13

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: xfce4-4.8 Panel issues

Just drag the panel to the middle of the top/side monitor and it will snap there for centered positioning.

If you check automatic expand and set the percentage  to 1%, it will do exactly what you want.

By border property I think you mean; don't show a flat button?

I'll look into the orage clock that doesn't show up. The panel framework changed a lot and some plugins haven't been tested thoroughly yet.

Regarding the icons; just install a complete icon theme. We have to load the icons *somewhere*.

You can also help by reporting bugs, instead of whining; it's 2 years of development with less then 5 developers.

#3 2011-01-18 10:46:57

onkelho

Re: xfce4-4.8 Panel issues

mjbjr wrote:

The Applications Menu doesn't have icons for most of the default items.
When I 'right-click' on the desktop to bring up the Apps Menu, the (same) items without an icon
have an icon box with a red 'X' in it.

In 'Settings', the 'Accessibility', 'Appearance', 'Desktop', 'Display', 'Keyboard', and 'Mouse' choices
don't have icons, just text.

i have the same problem if i use a icon-set from our old SAM, reflective icons based on nouveXT...,
this wasn't complete, just include on folder "scalable", now all icons are scaled down to 128x128 to...16x16,
now this works perfect,
please check your icon-theme, and if it fails, the developer of this will receiving your bug-report ?

The panel-settings works perfect for me, and all other on xfce-settings-manager-dialog also.
Just a little thing comes up with using a xfapplet, and in there the mintmenu, ( for others i can't tell what's happen,
must testing later, )
the mintmenu brings a button-icon, and if i use or not use it, the background of it keep to see grey, not to
becomes a transparent background...
Is this the same with other xfapplet's by use gnome-apps?

Regards

Last edited by onkelho (2011-01-18 10:48:05)

Board footer