Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-17 13:43:32

khanning

[Solved] .desktop files recognized as "text/plain"

Hi all,

When I place an icon on the desktop by either dragging and dropping from the application finder or by right clicking and "Create Launcher" it at first doesn't show up. I then go to "Settings > Desktop > Icons" and choose "No Icons" then back to "File/Launcher Icons" and the file will at least show that is on the Desktop. The problem is that it is recognized as a text/plain and will only open with mousepad. This is the same if I try to launch an application from the application launcher, it opens the .desktop file in mousepad. I guess its pretty clear I missed something during the install even though I followed the build order exactly from the documentation page.

Also, If I try to choose an image as an icon when creating a launcher the finder window doesn't display any of the images that are known to be in the folder whether it is set to show "Image Files" or "All Files".

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

#2 2011-01-18 08:59:36

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: [Solved] .desktop files recognized as "text/plain"

Known problem in xfdesktop and not fixed because of a lack of developers. Will be worked on for the next release.

#3 2011-01-22 18:47:45

khanning

Re: [Solved] .desktop files recognized as "text/plain"

I resolved the issue I was having. I forgot to install the MIME database. After compiling shared-mime-info and running update-mime-database the icons appeared.

Just an oversight on my end.

Thanks!!

Board footer