Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-12 00:14:18

edwardp

Missing "Screensaver" icon in XFCE4 Settings Manager window

Hi.  I installed Debian 6 last night and included XFCE.  In the XFCE4 Settings Manager window, the icon for Screensaver is missing.

Does anyone know how to add that in (or if this is a known bug)?  The icon is present next to Screensaver on the regular Settings menu.

Thank you.

Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) XFCE

#2 2011-03-12 16:23:36

GS

Re: Missing "Screensaver" icon in XFCE4 Settings Manager window

Just so you know, I've been running Debian testing (using "testing" instead of "Squeeze" in /etc/apt/sources.list) for a couple of years. I've never seen an icon for Screensaver in that Settings dialog.

If you'll check out each of the sub-dialogs listed in Settings, you'll see some that open in the same window (provided by Xfce?), and some that open a separate dialog or window (provided by not-directly-associated packages?). For instance, check out the difference between Desktop and Display. Screensaver, like Display, is one of the sub-dialogs which opens in a separate window. My guess is that the presence (or absence) of an icon for these particular features have to be provided by the package manager for the features and are not provided, per se, by Xfce. Maybe an icon for Xscreensaver is not provided by the package manager -- possibly because the package is desktop-environment-agnostic?

Bear in mind that this is mere speculation (i.e. a guess pulled out of you-know-where) on the part of a relative GNU/Linux newcomer with a couple of vodka tonics under his belt.

Please pray for me. I'm going in for a third run.

#3 2011-03-12 16:58:22

edwardp

Thank you for the reply.  Been using Linux since 2003 and this was my first Debian installation.  On the Settings menu, there is an icon present for the Screensaver menu entry, so the icon appears to be on the system, but it's obviously missing from the XFCE4 Settings Manager window.

#4 2011-03-12 17:52:00

GS

Yes, that's the same as on my systems.

I was assuming that, for some reason, the larger icons just hadn't been provided by the package manager (or by the package maintainer), but I looked under /usr/share and found all the different sizes for xscreensaver.png. I always noticed the missing icon in Settings but never bothered looking into it because:

a) I was lazy.
b) As long as I could call the function up by clicking on the word "Screensaver" it wasn't in my nature to worry about it.

I found this:

http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5481

Reading between the lines, I'm wondering if the omission is intended because, maybe, the "Screensaver" entry in the Settings dialog can call up different screensavers (gnome, kde, xscreensaver?).

#5 2011-03-16 23:18:53

edwardp

What version of XFCE are you using with Testing?  Squeeze came with 4.6.2.  On my Xubuntu 10.10 (also with 4.6.2), the same entry with icon is present.

Board footer