Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-17 17:43:31

mikeym
Website

[Solved] xfce4-volumed possible without xfce4?

First off let me say I'm a big Xfce fan and run it on my desktop. However it's a bit too big for my aged notebook so I run openbox and not much else. I do still like to use xfce goodies where I can and was pleased to find that I can use the great xfce4-notifyd. So I thought I'd try my luck and see if I could also get xfce4-volumed. I found I can install it on my distribution (Arch) without dragging in too much only really gstreamer is any size.

However my luck failed here and xfce4-volumed appears to fail to do anything. Do you think it would be possible to get xfce4-volumed working without xfce and if so what do I need to do?

#2 2011-03-20 13:12:34

mikeym
Website

Re: [Solved] xfce4-volumed possible without xfce4?

Yes it works, it just has a dependency that was missing form the packages in my distribution (Arch). I've let them know in any case.

The dependency was for gstreamer0.10-base-plugins as xfce4-volumed relies on the gstreamer mixer interface that is part of base plugins.

I installed this package and made sure that xfce4-volumed started with X and it works out of the box. smile

The only other issue was that xfce4-volumed identified my multimedia keys from my keyboard and was conflicting with a separate script I had installed to provide the multimedia key functions. All I had to do was disable the script.

Board footer