Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-30 21:41:18

rlt6246

[Solved] desktop shows filenames for launchers instead of the launcher names

Like other users I've experienced problems with the 4.8 update. Thanks to the forums I've pretty much fixed the problems (or am waiting for 4.8.1 for Trash to work correctly). There is one small problem I am still having that I have not seen addressed in the Xfce or Arch linux forums. That is the name shown on the desktop under the icon for my launchers is the filename including the suffix .desktop instead of the launcher name. Thunar shows the launcher name and not the filename. I would actually like these behaviors reversed. I would like the desktop to show the shorter launcher name (as I believe it did in 4.6 if memory serves). I also think a file manager should show actual filenames. Is there any way to configure the desktop and/or thunar to get the behavior I want. Thanks for any help.

#2 2011-01-30 21:46:00

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: [Solved] desktop shows filenames for launchers instead of the launcher names

Both should show the Name key set in the desktop file and with a rename, rename the key, not the name of the file. That is the correct behaviour and should both be fixed in xfdesktop 4.8.1 and thunar 1.2.1, which were both released today.

#3 2011-01-30 22:37:55

rlt6246

Re: [Solved] desktop shows filenames for launchers instead of the launcher names

I've installed 4.8.1 and am happy to report that launchers are showing their launcher names on the desktop and trash is working. Thanks to the xfce developers for their quick turn-around on 4.8.1.

#4 2011-03-17 20:09:07

john_lindgren

rlt6246 wrote:

... Thunar shows the launcher name and not the filename. ... I also think a file manager should show actual filenames. ...

I agree with rlt6246 here.  Along with not showing the actual filenames, Thunar makes it impossible to change them.  The current behavior (changing the "Name" entry in the .desktop file) is cute, and it may be useful to some users, but it's not a replacement for when I just want to rename the file.

For example, suppose I want to create a new .desktop file for some application.  I don't know the syntax for .desktop files by heart, so it's quicker to copy an existing one and edit it.  If I copy and paste, say, audacious.desktop, the new file will be something like "Copy of audacious.desktop".  Of course I want to rename this to something more meaningful.  I would like to be able to do this from within Thunar.  Instead, I have to go to a terminal window and use mv.

Board footer