Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-13 05:10:46

bohu

Feature Requests

I have been using XFCE since version 3-point-something. Your progress since then is astonishing.

There are some small things I would love see added to XFCE:

1) Allow me to minimize xfterminal  to the tray and let me choose a key to toggle visibility of the terminal (like F12). Right now I am using tilda for this.

2) Allow single clilck of icons on desktop

3) Allow to tag wallpapers with theme information so that when a wallpaper is selected the associated theme and cursor will be chosen with it.

4) Add more apps to the default applications dialog

5) Add a GUI config for SLIM.

I'm very excited about 4.8. I wish Debian would hurry up and get it into the Testing Repo!

Last edited by bohu (2011-04-13 05:11:59)

#2 2011-04-13 15:48:19

Anzhr

Re: Feature Requests

Moi aussi.

#3 2011-04-14 09:52:03

etnlWings

1) Alltray allows you to dock anything to the notification area, although this should be used sparingly. Likewise, you can launch a terminal by configuring an application shortcut in Settings>Keyboard.

3) This seems backwards. Wallpaper could be defined via some kind of meta-theme ala Gnome or Windows' Visual Styles but attaching themes to wallpapers is incredibly ad hoc and would likely piss off more people than it'd please. As for Meta-themes, there's nothing stopping themers from including xfconf-query scripts with their suites.

4) I have no idea what this even means. What applications? The default application selection is the responsibility of distributions, not Xfce. Moreover, just about any modern distro makes it piss-easy to install whatever applications you'd like. Debian, you say? Apt-get/Aptitude/Synaptic is your friend.

5) SLiM is not an Xfce project.

#4 2011-04-14 19:49:26

Sideburns
Website

Let me add one: I'd like to be able to configure the Terminal so that when you open it from the right-click menu (Open Terminal Here) it still opens in your home directory, not in ~/Desktop.  Yes, I know that technically, that's what it should do, but I had Gnome configured to have Terminal in the right-click menu, opening in ~/ so it's what I'm used to.  It probably shouldn't be the default, but it'd be nice to be an option.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2011-04-14 21:10:18

Nick
Dev
Website

bohu wrote:

4) Add more apps to the default applications dialog

There is no point doing this. The ones currently in the dialog are there to hard-code commands in the code, with a framework to provide fallback support and selector (think launch in terminal, help in webbrowser, open folders from menus). Everything else you probably expect there are mime-associations, something that is in the works for 4.10.

#6 2011-04-15 14:33:30

bohu

...mime-associations, something that is in the works for 4.10.

Sweet! that's exactly what I'm after.  I've been driving myself crazy trying to get Chromium to work with Liferea and it just _won't_. I even installed an extension that supposedly has feed handler support. It still won't work. I even install Gconf and set feed handling to liferea and even then Chromium will not handle RSS. There is some missing piece somewhere and I suspect it is a missing mime-association in XFCE. So for now, I will copy and paste to put feeds in Liferea.

Board footer