Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-13 19:17:23

Zidane

things about tasklist-plugin "manual ordering"

Not so long ago i switched to Xfce from gnome (because gnome 3 is ugly).
All in Xfce suits me except ordering in tasklist-plugin. I want to manually drag'n'drop window buttons, and order how i want.
So, I opened source-codes of tasklist plugin, and find solutiion for it like this:
1. Enable drag'n'drop window buttons widgets to other window buttons widgets.
2. After dragging widget A to widget B take B->unique_id and write it to A->unique_id.
3. Make unique_id++ for B widget and widgets thats have unique_id greater than B->unique_id.
4. For XFCE_TASKLIST_SORT_ORDER_MANUAL use same logic as for XFCE_TASKLIST_SORT_ORDER_TIMESTAMP (by unique_id).

I hope that will help's.

P.S. I don't know gtk-programming, and can't make it by myself, so I will hope for your help.

Last edited by Zidane (2011-04-13 19:20:26)

#2 2011-04-14 09:23:25

etnlWings

Re: things about tasklist-plugin "manual ordering"

All in Xfce suits me except ordering in tasklist-plugin. I want to manually drag'n'drop window buttons, and order how i want.

You can already do this in Xfce 4.6. I haven't spent much time with Xfce 4.8 but from what I recall, this functionality is intact.

#3 2011-04-14 14:11:39

Zidane

etnlWings, in 4.6 yes, it's how i want, but in 4.8 new method of sorting tasklist panel. And in my distro exists only 4.8

#4 2011-04-14 21:13:30

Nick
Dev
Website

Your solution might indeed work, but reordering the window list is basically the same (but faster). However this is work in progress and will still show up in 4.8 once I find time to write the code.

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7142

#5 2011-04-16 15:52:43

etnlWings

Zidane, my mistake.

Oh and hey Nick, you wouldn't be able to add a 'no icons, text only' mode to the tasklist plugin, would you?

Also, crazy idea I don't seriously expect to ever be implemented: have tasklist ordering (and possible justification) correspond to windows' physical locations. It'd be cool if the windows I keep on the right of my screen also had their tasklist items keep to the right. Basically have ordering ruled by the x axis values of the windows' centres, with the y axis values for tie breaking (or visa versa for vertical tasklists).

#6 2011-04-16 16:23:13

Nick
Dev
Website

etnlWings wrote:

Oh and hey Nick, you wouldn't be able to add a 'no icons, text only' mode to the tasklist plugin, would you?

That is already possible with minimized-icon-lucency=0, see README.gtkrc-2.0

etnlWings wrote:

Also, crazy idea I don't seriously expect to ever be implemented: have tasklist ordering (and possible justification) correspond to windows' physical locations. It'd be cool if the windows I keep on the right of my screen also had their tasklist items keep to the right. Basically have ordering ruled by the x axis values of the windows' centres, with the y axis values for tie breaking (or visa versa for vertical tasklists).

That would be very time consuming to sort: the kinda stuff we don't want in Xfce.

#7 2011-04-17 14:07:32

etnlWings

Nick wrote:
etnlWings wrote:

That would appear to only apply to hidden windows, unless there's some kind of special case for the 0 value. I don't have 4.8 installed ATM so I can't test.

That would be very time consuming to sort: the kinda stuff we don't want in Xfce.

Like I said, crazy idea I don't seriously expect to ever be implemented.

#8 2011-04-17 21:18:33

Nick
Dev
Website

etnlWings wrote:
Nick wrote:
etnlWings wrote:

That would appear to only apply to hidden windows, unless there's some kind of special case for the 0 value. I don't have 4.8 installed ATM so I can't test.

Yes, 0 is a special case here, pretty sure it works, since I wrote the code ;-).

#9 2011-04-18 10:34:47

etnlWings

Okay, neat-o. Cheers.

Board footer