Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-27 09:29:24

kikinovak

[Solved] How can I enlarge icons and/or text in the menu ?

Hi,

I'm running Xubuntu 10.04 LTS on one of my PCs. I'm very happy with it, only there's one small annoyance: menus are too tiny. A few years back, I've been using XFCE exclusively on Slackware, and I vaguely remember having succeded to correct the menu icon size somewhere in /usr/share, in some gtkrc file. Can't remember exactly where, or what option, and notes I had taken at the time are long gone.

Any suggestions?

#2 2011-04-27 10:51:32

ManOfSteel

Re: [Solved] How can I enlarge icons and/or text in the menu ?

You can change GTK defaults by creating a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file in your home directory.

gtk-font-name="16"

will set the font size everywhere. I'm not sure if the menu has a specific option.

#3 2011-04-27 21:38:27

kikinovak

I don't want to change GTK defaults, I mainly want bigger icons for the menu entries. I gave the following a try :

#!/bin/bash
# menus-lisibles.sh
# Default to bigger icons
for FILE in `find $PKG/usr/share/themes -name 'gtkrc'`; do
  if grep -q 'gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-menu=24,24"' $FILE ; then
    continue
  else
    echo " " >> $FILE
    echo "# Default to bigger menu icons:" >> $FILE
    echo "gtk-icon-sizes = \"gtk-menu=24,24\"" >> $FILE
  fi
done

This appended a line to every gtkrc file in the /usr/share/themes directory. Used to work back in the days with Slackware 12.0 (around 2007, IIRC). But not here.

Any more suggestions ?

#4 2011-04-27 22:11:02

kikinovak

I think I may have a partial success, but I need one more information : where does XFCE 4.8 store its settings ? Can't seem to find them. As I remember, there used to be a ~/.config directory.

#5 2011-04-28 06:30:17

kikinovak

Oops. Seems like sometimes you don't see what's right in front of your nose. I just stumbled over the .config directory (is there some "configuration directory blindness" similar to "banner blindness"?), copied over its contents to /etc/skel, and everything worked fine like in the good old days.

By the way, a HUGE pat on the shoulders of the developers. I LOVE XFCE 4.8, and it looks like after a few years of GNOME and KDE, I'm going to use XFCE exclusively.

Cheers from the sunny South of France

Board footer