Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-19 16:48:57

Ailurus

Show all open windows, and choose one

Since I'm only using a toolbar with some launchers on it, I have to use ALT+TAB to switch between applications. I wondered if it would be possible to change the looks of the "Window Menu", or how the command below Is called.

xfdesktop --windowlist

I binded a short-cut to this command, but there are a couple of things that I'd like to change:

- Instead of appearing at the current position of the cursor, make it appear in the center of the screen
- Show miniatures of the windows, instead of the tiny icons with a description
- Only show windows of the current workspace

This last option can be configured when you use the panel app "Window Menu", but I don't know how this could be done when using the mentioned command. If it is not possible to configure, is there an other application that could do this?

#2 2011-05-22 12:17:52

Ailurus

Re: Show all open windows, and choose one

Hmm, I noticed a small delay between pressing the shortcut, and the appearance of the windowlist (when I press the mousewheel on the desktop, the windowlist is displayed immediately). I think this is just the handling of shortcuts in general, not the launch of this specific command, right? Didn't notice it with other shortcuts before, because they all start graphical applications, i.e. it's obvious they need some time to execute.

Anyway, does somebody have a suggestion for a possible solution (considering the three points mentioned above)?

#3 2011-05-23 06:06:26

vrkalak

... when I press the mousewheel on the desktop, the windowlist is displayed immediately

I have been using Xfce, almost since Day One with my Linux experience ... and I didn't know you could do that.  Thanks.

Rule #7 > Learn something new everyday.  tongue

#4 2011-05-23 06:09:12

Nick
Dev
Website

Xfdesktop cannot filter the active workspace, the panel version (4.8) can. So if you add the window menu plugin, you can bind a shortcut to xfce4-popup-windowmenu.

No only under the cursor is possible (or in case of the panel, popup the menu at the plugin if --pointer is not set).

Miniatures are also not possible, and also something does not get implemented anytime soon. Only the window manager can take care of this and even then it would be very time consuming, not something for Xfce.

#5 2011-05-23 08:23:13

Ailurus

vrkalak wrote:

I have been using Xfce, almost since Day One with my Linux experience ... and I didn't know you could do that.  Thanks.
Rule #7 > Learn something new everyday.  tongue

Haha, good to hear that my question for knowledge results in knowledge for not only myself big_smile

Nick, thanks for your answer. I didn't know what I was thinking when I wrote "miniatures", but I mean large-sized versions of the icons the applications use. In fact, the menu that is displayed when you press Alt+Tab is almost what I would like, but then it should stay on my screen until I click one of the applications, and if possible the icons should be larger. Do you know to what command the Alt+Tab combination is binded?

#6 2011-05-23 16:16:52

Nick
Dev
Website

Alt-tab is handled by the window manager, so you can change that binding in the window manager settings.

#7 2011-05-23 18:54:20

Ailurus

No, it's the other way around, sorry for not explaining properly. I'm curious what command/script is executed when I press Alt+Tab, perhaps I could change this script a little such that it meets my mentioned points (i.e. stays on screen until I click one of the applications in the window, and enlarge the icons a bit).

#8 2011-05-23 19:29:42

Nick
Dev
Website

Code that is embedded in the window manager, the window manager handles those keybindings internally.

#9 2011-05-25 20:54:27

Ailurus

Hmm ok, could you point me to the development section of XFWM? I found some pages about getting involved with the development of XFCE, but not XFWM specifically. I'd like to know how this Alt+Tab shortcut works, and perhaps write an application such that it meets my wishes.

#10 2011-05-25 21:40:37

Nick
Dev
Website

You can find the code in git: http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/
Maybe also good to mention; it is on the 4.10 todo list to beautify the alt-tab window: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/xfwm4 (checkout the mokups).

Board footer