Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-21 01:33:09

mcc

[Solved] The Old Menu Editor Question

Hi all,
Once again I have taken the plunge into trying out and spending a couple weeks with XFCE.  I like many aspects of the WM but the same question comes up again and again in my travels.  'How do I change the main menu?'  I have looked up all the relevant entries in the forum and find that it still is a royal pain.  So my question has now become, 'How is the NEW XFCE Menu Editor?'  IS IT Worth changing over from Gnome?  It seems to me that this is the big stumbling block for me.
Cheers,
M

#2 2011-02-22 22:14:07

escapingsummer

Re: [Solved] The Old Menu Editor Question

Haven't tried the new one yet. I don't much care for alacarte so I am still doing things the old fashioned way. You should boot into a live environment with 4.8 and test yourself, because you are requesting peoples opinions and their experience the best way to check it out is use it on your system and setup and see what you think. smile

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

Desktop- Fedora XFCE x86_64
Netbook- Modified Fedora 14 security spin -fluxbox/Fedora XFCE

#3 2011-02-23 03:20:37

mcc

Hi e,
Thanks for the reply.  I tried looking for a live CD with Xfce 4.8 on it and was really able to find one.  I realized that it is probably too early to expect that from a distro.  So I looked back at your reply and wanted to find out what you meant by "boot into a live environment with 4.8."  Is there a live CD/distro with Xfce 4.8 or is there some other way of getting a look at it with out having to build it myself?

Also, I don't mean to press the issue but do you know if there is menu editor in Xfce 4.8.  Maybe I am getting hung up on a small detail but it seems important to me.  Is it 'alacarte' that does the menu editing?
Cheers,
M

#4 2011-02-23 04:12:15

escapingsummer

Alacarte is a menu editor originally used in gnome. The menu in Xfce is now configurable under alacarte. As far as a live environment with Xfce 4.8 Wolvix might have 4.8 shipping now, you can check out distros at distrowatch.com. You can also check out Fedora's Rawhide Xfce spin which includes 4.8, it is not suitable for day to day use yet, but it will at least give you an opportunity to see it for yourself. I am a member of the Xfce SIG in Fedora and help with documentation within the project so if you need some help that OS is my forte.

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

Desktop- Fedora XFCE x86_64
Netbook- Modified Fedora 14 security spin -fluxbox/Fedora XFCE

#5 2011-02-23 16:41:36

mcc

Hi e,
Wow, a podcast would be very cool, if you can.  Would you post one or email it as attachment?  I seem to have trouble with the directions that Ubuntu and the ones even provided by Xfce.
http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
The issue that I have problem with is that I would like to delete or 'nodisplay=True' (correct?) certain menu items.  When I look into #~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu  I do not have the actual programs listed which I would like to not display.  I also have a problem with #~/.local/share/applications.  The list here is empty.!?!  As you can probably see I am a little confused and 'distressed'. lol

It makes me think back to Uni. when my english profs said it is all about comminucation... I thougt to myself, I am in science I don't need that crap. {laugh} I know I am smaht but when it comes to understanding some of this stuff I start to wonder. Is it me or poor communicators. {chuckle}.
Cheers,
M

Last edited by mcc (2011-02-23 16:43:46)

#6 2011-02-23 17:10:44

pcybill

Check in the /usr/share/applications folder. I had a few menu items that I wanted to hide and found the entries there.

#7 2011-05-27 13:33:59

LionelPutz

Try LXMenuEditor (lxmed) - download from SourceForge. Designed for LXDE but works well in other environments including XFCE - Java based, freedesktop.org compliant and very lightweight:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxmed/

#8 2011-05-27 19:25:33

Sideburns
Website

I installed lxmed.  It doesn't run.  If I run it from a terminal, I get this:

/bin/lxmed: line 1: gksu: command not found

***EDIT***

A little research showed me that Fedora uses beesu instead of gksu; editing /bin/lxmed to reflect this got it working.

Last edited by Sideburns (2011-05-27 19:46:37)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer