Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-11 04:40:03

arya47

Hello

My name is Arya. I am from the "Great Brown Land Down Under" and I am pleased to be joining you all.

I have been using Xfce for a number of years, not always as the primary desktop (like to keep in touch with all Linux stuff) but, since the arrival of 4.8, I have been migrating all my stuff (as well as the 40 or so I support using Gnome) across. This is such a great desktop and now handles my last couple of "niggles' nicely, so, I think we will be here to stay.

Currently my primary desktop is LMDE-Xfce version from LinuxMint folk (upgraded to track Debian Sid) - but I am waiting for the new version Xfce4.8 iso to come out from PCLinuxOS. That is my favourite distro of all and I am sure they will do Xfce proud once again.

Hope to be able to contribute once I've settled in watching & learning.

cheers,
Arya.

#2 2011-06-11 08:54:18

Hezy
Website

Re: Hello

Hi Arya, welcome to the Xfce forum.

I think that we have lots of new Xfce users, but most of them are refugees from Unity or Gnome 3, not particularly aware of the changes in 4.8 . So I wonder what are the things that make you happy about 4.8.

keep on rockin' in the free world

#3 2011-06-11 10:22:47

arya47

Re: Hello

Hezy wrote:

Hi Arya, welcome to the Xfce forum.

I think that we have lots of new Xfce users, but most of them are refugees from Unity or Gnome 3, not particularly aware of the changes in 4.8 . So I wonder what are the things that make you happy about 4.8.

The changes to the panel capabilities is important to me personally. I am not a big fan of "docks" as such; particularly if they force one to use 3D graphics just to get the functionality of a fancy panel. Particularly with the advent of wide monitors, I just like to have a panel on the right or left edge that has the 12 to 15 most used application icons for launching, and I want it to have a transparent background and be very configurable.  The v4.8 panel changes have all been positive for my needs.

However, the single biggest improvement for me in v4.8 has been the introduction of the remote server file management direct in Thunar. I am well versed in using external mount tools (Gigilo, /etc/fstab, etc) but the fact that I can now quite seemlesly move in and out of multiple remote sftp & other servers makes all my work so much easier because I spend a lot of my time using my machine to access other machines.

cheers,
Arya.

Board footer