Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-26 07:45:50

ashesh

Migrating to XFCE, Gnome services won't quit

Hi,

Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity didn't work out for me so I immediately switched to XFCE. Xubuntu is nice and the workflow is much better, though what bothers me is the Gnome services don't quit.

First of all, the power manager. The powermanager comes back up after every suspend - I've removed it from the Startup Programs list. So that causes my laptop to resume and immediately go back into suspend the moment it resumes. This happens due to calls to suspend to the Gnome power manager as well as the XFCE power manager. The question is how do I avoid gnome power manager from being invoked at all.

Secondly, the Gnome-screensaver. Whenever I resume from suspend/hibernate, I'm presented with the Gnome screensaver lock password dialog. I enter the password there, and the computer goes back into standby - due to the issue we discussed above. I need to stop Gnome-screensaver from being invoked as well.

I have to selectively deactivate gnome services because some of them, I need - e.g. the keyring service, which Adobe Air needs.

Thanks for reading through and I'll appreciate any help.

#2 2011-05-26 10:56:27

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Migrating to XFCE, Gnome services won't quit

Probably best to remove the package, but if the application is removed from autostart, not running anymore and you save the session on logout, it should be fine.

#3 2011-05-26 12:05:45

ashesh

Nick wrote:

Probably best to remove the package, but if the application is removed from autostart, not running anymore and you save the session on logout, it should be fine.

Thanks. I removed gnome-screensaver and gnome-power-manager manually. The problem was, even if these programs were deselected from the startup list, they'd get reinvoked after a suspend/resume cycle. I think there's a script that runs after resume which was behind this. Would be cool to know what though.

#4 2011-05-26 12:55:27

Nick
Dev
Website

We don't trigger scripts after suspend, maybe gdm does if you use that.

#5 2011-05-26 13:14:26

Anzhr

Once you've removed those services did you save the session as Nick suggested?

#6 2011-05-26 14:25:08

ashesh

Anzhr wrote:

Once you've removed those services did you save the session as Nick suggested?

As far as I remember, yes. The problem was once I resumed from suspend, the services were triggered back and started again. And from what I understand, the session is saved once one logs out, so what was saved was written over with those services running again.

Removing the programs has solved it, obviously. Thanks for all the help.

#7 2011-06-18 01:50:28

chipong

I think Xfce should remove Gnome components as much as possible in Debian.

Silent Hands......

Board footer