Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-29 20:37:09

Allan

Wallpaper Reversion and Desktop Menu Problem

Apologies if this has been covered before: I've searched the forum and found things that other people have experienced that have been similar, but not quite the same.

Anyway, my XFCE desktop was performing perfectly until yesterday, when the wallpaper I had selected was only visible for a few seconds as the desktop loaded, before reverting to the default Sabayon wallpaper whilst also displaying the Trash Can.  Presumably linked into this, the desktop right click menu now no longer offers the option to access the main menu. 

Going into the desktop settings menu still lists my original wallpaper as being present, but it won't change regardless of what I choose - I've also got no icons selected to be shown on the desktop, and yet the Trash persists.  I don't recall any XFCE components being updated recently, nor was anything done by me (knowingly, anyway) to mess things up.

The version is 4.8, and I'm using Sabayon as fully updated to version 6.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Allan

#2 2011-06-29 20:57:11

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Wallpaper Reversion and Desktop Menu Problem

Probably the xfdesktop process crashed. Start it in the Alt+F2 run dialog.

#3 2011-06-30 14:10:15

Allan

On running xfdesktop, I get the following message:

Gtk-message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome"
xfdesktop[8134] is already running; assuming --reload

I'm guessing the first thing isn't very good, but I'm not sure how it could be causing the symptoms.  Hmmm.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion Nick.

Allan

#4 2011-06-30 19:23:21

Allan

OK, an update.  I've discovered that by killing xfdesktop from the task manager, my original desktop reappears and a new xfdesktop instance appears in the list.  So the cause is known - just stopping the errant xfdesktop from running is the issue now!

Allan

Board footer