Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 18:02:04

ffreeloader

Autostart change order of startup items

I've looked through a few pages of this forum and searched for related posts, but so far haven't found anything on this.

I use wicd to manage my network connection.  What I would like to do is change where it starts in autostart as the way the startup order is now XCFE can't see the network settings and pops up an alert that it can't find the network connection. The DE then stalls at verifying DNS settings.   The "settings and startup" wizard doesn't allow changing the order, and I haven't been able to find any config file that allows me to do this either. 

I'd appreciate being pointed toward some type of documentation on how to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by ffreeloader (2011-08-24 18:03:00)

#2 2011-08-25 00:52:00

angstrom

Re: Autostart change order of startup items

I also use wicd to manage my network and I don't have DNS issue. I think you should start wicd a service, from /etc/rc.d, and not by Xfce Session autostart system. In that way, wicd will be started before X server, thus, before Xfce.

Otherwise, about the order of Xfce-session autostart : Xfce session load files .desktop  in ~/.config/autostart/. It use the gtk function g_dir_read_name () and from Gtk documentation :

The order of entries returned from this function is not defined, and may vary by file system or other operating-system dependent factors.

So I'm afraid that you won't be able to control which startup items to be loaded first ... Or, may be try to tweak with sleep command ?

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-08-26 01:00:54

ffreeloader

Re: Autostart change order of startup items

I think there is a little confusion here.  It's probably due to my communication lapse.   The problem is the inability of the wicd-client to start soon enough.  Wicd does start at system start up via /etc/init.d/wicd and rc2.d, but that's the wicd daemon. 

What I'm looking is to start the wicd-client up sooner as I use my laptop in several environments.  That causes me to use several different wireless profiles.  I can see why I get the problem of wicd not finding the wireless network soon enough to avoid the warning in all but my default(home) profile on log in as I can have only 1 default network profile, but not why I get this problem using the default wireless profile. 

This problem didn't exist in Gnome.  It has only occurred since I moved to XCFE.  Maybe I never ran across the problem before because Gnome takes so much longer to start.

This laptop is old enough it has a fairly slow boot time and I don't really want to lengthen the boot time even more so sleep isn't really a viable option for me.  I'd found the .desktop items in ~/.config/autostart and realized what their function was, but didn't realize there is no way to prioritize which files are executed first.   I find that rather odd, but so be it.   

Thanks for your info.  I learned what I needed to know and gained a little more understanding of XCFE.

Board footer