Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-25 12:57:16

Nomer

DBus, gvfs, or Thunar problem

What I am trying to do is get Thunar looking and working nicely.
I've compiled the whole DE from the source. Then there was a problem. When I deleted files they vanished into ~/.local/share/Trash thus gobbling up my harddrive space. To fix this I installed gvfs.

Here is the thing, I'm running Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2.5 which has binary compatibility with Ubuntu. So I go to packages.ubuntu.com and download and install the following:
  gvfs
  gvfs-backends
  gvfs-fuse
  libgvfscommon0
After a reboot the trash works great. smile But now on the left side of Thunar there is an entry labeled "network:///" When I click on it I get this error

Failed to open "network:///".
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus).

I downloaded and compiled gigolo. When I try to connect I get the same error message, so I concluded that I must have a problem with Dbus or gvfs. Can anyone confirm or reject this?
I see two options here:
  1. remove the entry (without losing the trash)
  2. fix Dbus or gvfs

Does anybody have any advice on achieving either of these? (If dbus really is the problem then I should probably ask it over on my distro's forum.)

[edit: typo: changed "right" to "left"]

Last edited by Nomer (2011-08-30 17:30:34)

#2 2011-08-28 20:26:45

Nomer

Re: DBus, gvfs, or Thunar problem

Ok, I was able to remove the entry from the side panel. What I did was go back to the Thunar source and entered the 'thunar' folder.
I looked around for a file that looked hopeful. I would open the file and then do a search for "network://" (or maybe it was just "network" I don't remember).
After a couple ov tries I found this at line 262 inside thunar-shortcuts-model.c

/* append the network icon if browsing the network is supported */
  if (thunar_g_vfs_is_uri_scheme_supported ("network"))
  system_paths = g_list_append (system_paths, g_file_new_for_uri ("network://"));

I thought that this looked pretty straight forward so I commented out the second two lines.

/* append the network icon if browsing the network is supported */
  //if (thunar_g_vfs_is_uri_scheme_supported ("network"))
  //system_paths = g_list_append (system_paths, g_file_new_for_uri ("network://"));

I then recompiled Thunar and restarted X, and tada! that annoying entry was gone. big_smile

I have to complement the developers here for their wonderful documentation/file naming/commenting. I would never have been able to do this without it.

If anyone ever does have any ideas on how to get the entry actually working I would still appreciate it. That way it could get rid ov my other network software.
Good Cheer to All,
         Nomer

#3 2011-08-29 17:49:38

mmassonnet
Website

With regard to the network gvfs backend I did the following:
sudo chmod 000 /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount

You then need to kill the related gvfs processes and restart Thunar.

Mike

#4 2011-08-30 16:40:48

Nomer

Thanks for the suggestion mmassonnet. I'll give it a try next time I'm running Xfce.
[edit: fixed typo]

Last edited by Nomer (2011-08-30 17:18:42)

#5 2011-08-30 18:01:33

Nomer

Hmmmm...... No luck.
First try:I entered the command, restarted the system, opened Thunar, hit Ctrl + L, entered "network:///", and got the same error as before.

Second try:So then I reissued the command killed all processes with the string "gvfs". This also failed. I then restarted the system because I couldn't access ~ with Thunar, getting this error:

Error stating file '/root/.gvfs': Transport endpoint is not connected.

Third try:After that I issued the command once more and killed all processes with "gvfs" or "thunar" Got the same results as the second try.

Anyway thanks for trying.

#6 2011-08-31 15:42:31

mmassonnet
Website

Woops, sorry, I missread actually what you were trying to get.

I suggested something that disables the network:// backend in order not to be annoyed by it.

I hope you know what you did by issuing the "chmod" command.

Mike

Board footer