Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-09 12:36:42

lalesculiviu
Website

Xfce rocks!

I was looking for a good window manager, found Xfce. Simply the best!

I have posted an entry about it in my forum. Here are my words:

---
Subject: Xfce - a great alternative to KDE and GNOME

1) If you want a simple, configurable, fast, usable, "normal", GNU/Linux desktop manager, use Xfce. Features:
        a) Starts very fast;
        b) Everything is configurable, in a very pleasant, intelligent and natural way;
        c) It has very good default functionality.

I mean, I just want a task bar with icons for usual programs, and nice relaxing colors. Why anything more or less?

2) I will probably never again use GNOME, unless it is the last possible alternative. If GNOME 2 had some possibilities of choice for settings (though very few), GNOME 3 is revolting! Nothing can be changed, and the functionality is zero for me. I will never agree with their reasons. But I agree that I use their programs in Xfce (which is compatible with GNOME).

3) KDE - I used it for a long time. It was good. But starting with version 4.7 (I think), KMail wants you to keep the emails in a bloated database, there appeared weird daemons running, and other things. I may reconsider KDE, if forced. But only if Xfce really lets me down.

4) Fluxbox - may be good, but I don't have the time to add all the needed functionality (you get zero default functionality). Also, I don't like that the task bar is very small and cannot be increased.
---

The link to the entry in my forum: http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/forum/YaBB. … 1313673954 (admins, please remove it if inappropriate.)

Thank you!

Last edited by lalesculiviu (2011-09-10 16:53:32)

#2 2011-10-14 18:43:24

scottbomb

Re: Xfce rocks!

Agreed 100%. I'm a Linux noob. I barely installed xfce the other day and so far, I'm lovin' it. I tried several distros in a VM on Win 7 and chose the apparent leader, Ubuntu 11.04. I was disgusted by the non-functionality of Unity so I went to Classic Gnome 2.something. Now that 11.10 is here, and from what I've read about it's non-functionality (Gnome 3 only if you don't like Unity) I started hunting for a better desktop. I read some good things abt xfce. Hell, Linus uses it so it must have something going for it. I installed it and haven't looked back yet.

Last night, however, I almost threw it out. I was testing different desktop settings and suddenly, my windows borders and buttons all disappeared! I couldn't move any windows and could only close them thru the File menu. Thank God for Google as I discovered that the windows manager had crashed. I reloaded it and was back in business. I do have a couple of questions about it I will post in another thread but I couldn't resist responding to this post because after testing several Linux GUIs, IMHO, xfce is the BEST.

And by the way, I didn't choose xfce because it's lightweight (my PCs can handle anything, plenty of RAM, HD, CPU, etc.) I chose xfce because it looks great, it's fully customizable, and THAT'S what Linux is all about.

Xubuntu 12.04

#3 2011-10-15 13:04:41

scottbomb

Just upgraded to Xubuntu 11.10. Even better.

Xubuntu 12.04

#4 2012-02-08 10:08:41

jvdurme

Hi all, here's another convert from Ubuntu to Xubuntu. smile
Oh I tried to love Unity and its launcher, really. Tried it for a few months, but my productivity was simply decreasing.
The reason I stayed with Unity is for its great improvement in dual monitors (12.04).
Allthough this is heavily hampered by the left position of the launcher, which makes mouse traversing to the right screen tedious, even with their new compiz mouse pressure setting.
It's trying to solve a problem that's not a problem.

But hey, I played just a little with Xfce and dual screens work flawless as well here. smile
Also, the great customizations one can do are enormous. You wouldn't tell the different between my Xfce desktop and Gnome 2. tongue

So thanks to the nice Xfce developers!

Last edited by jvdurme (2012-02-08 10:21:03)

Xubuntu 12.04 Alpha 2

Board footer