Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-09 19:52:04

the_jest

Mounting USB devices "Not authorized"?

I'm running XFCE 4.8 on Debian Testing; all my packages are up to date. I'm having a problem that does seem to be widely reported, yet if there's a Debian solution, I haven't been able to find it. Simply, attempts to mount a USB device fail with the message "Mount Failed: Failed to mount "[name of device]" Not Authorized." The icons do show up on the desktop, but I can't do anything with them.

Most of the discussions I've seen are for Arch Linux or Slackware, and the proposed solutions involve modifying files that aren't on my Debian system. I do have Thunar set (in the "Advanced" -> "Volume preferences" area) to mount removable media automatically, and I do have ConsoleKit, thunar-volman, and so forth installed. I am in the plugdev group. I don't have any conflicting entries in /etc/fstab (in any case, I'd like to mount whatever USB devices gets inserted, not just specific, predetermined ones).

Thanks. This has been very frustrating, as it's something I need to Just Work.... Not trying to do anything fancy here.

#2 2011-10-14 21:38:58

NightSky

Re: Mounting USB devices "Not authorized"?

Slackware current user but wonder if you have usr groups in debian and if your usr is in cdrom group?  In slackware  vi /etc/group just add usr ->  :xxxx no spaces. Then updatedb.. hope this helps.

Board footer