Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-19 06:08:54

FloSch369

Disable reboot, shutdown, suspend and hibernate for ordinary users

Hi,

how can I disable the posibility to reboot, shutdown, suspend and hibernate for ordinary users so that they can only logout.

Background: I have to administrate a small cluster where students need to login graphically on one node. There is no physical access to any of the nodes so I don't need to worry that anyone uses the power-off-button. As I am urged to use openSUSE the desktop manager is KDE up to now but I want to change that! KDE is way to overloaded and moreover I simply don't like it. XFCE looks very promising, yet if I cannot disable the things mentioned above I sadly have to stick to KDE.

I used the search-function of the forum which brought me to this post: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=4781. Although the solution posted there works it could easily be reversed by ordinary users as no special rights are needed. The chance that anyone would do so might be small but a non reversable solution would make me sleep better.

Thanks for any help!
Greetings

Florian

#2 2011-10-26 18:41:09

GS

Re: Disable reboot, shutdown, suspend and hibernate for ordinary users

Heh, if you use XDM as the desktop manager they won't be shutting down, restarting, etc.

Which DM are you using?

#3 2011-10-27 05:55:33

FloSch369

Thank's for your reply.

Desktop Manager is gdm. Switching to xdm doesn't help as the logout menu is provided by the window manager which is xfce.

#4 2011-10-27 12:43:44

GS

Actually, installing XDM and removing GDM should work because XDM doesn't work with policykit. The logout menu will show restart and shutdown, but they'll be grayed out and won't work.

But I wasn't really serious about doing this, which is why I started my earlier reply with "Heh". I'm sorry about that. I know you're looking for a solution, and not for commiseration or jokes.

Board footer