Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-08 17:52:20

Troubadix

[Solved] xfce appears strange

Hi all,

after working for a while without troubles with xfce4, now some really strange things are happening.

All windows appear sticked on the left-up side of the screen, I'm not able to move them around. It's not able to close the windows with the mouse, just with "ctrl + q". I just may write in a terminal, when it's scrolled over by mouse. If it's not scrolled over, it doesn't seem to be activated. There is no windows-settings available in the menu. And on the task-bar there is just one screen left (even if I put four in the settings, as I normally do).

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10. With this Ubuntu, using gnome, I don't have any problems. If I create a second account, this second account seems to work well with xfce4. So it's some trouble, that I have with my user account. But I have absolutely no idea what it might be.

And the reason: Maybe it's because I used my batterie 'til the end. The system shutted down itself. But I don't know if that's really the reason.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Troubadix (2011-11-09 01:09:51)

#2 2011-11-08 18:21:06

angstrom

Re: [Solved] xfce appears strange

Try to run the command "xfwm4 &", from a terminal, console or from "Alt+F2".

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-11-09 01:08:28

Troubadix

Yes, thanks a lot. Everything seems to work as it should now.

Maybe you may tell me, what happend and what did this command?

Thank you again. smile

#4 2011-11-09 01:22:12

angstrom

xfwm4 is the xfce window manager. It draw windows border, size, maximize, move, etc ... Like its name, it manage windows. It's a program that normally is run when you logged in. But since your pc shutdown un-cleanly  (as you said, battery drop down), it failed to be saved as a service to be start when Xfce session start. 
It pretty scary when it happen to you the first time (me too, I was like :"What the heck !?!?!"  I didn't do anything since yesterday ?!?!?). The problem is that you don't have any tip/hint about what goiing on :-(
It's fortunate or unfortunate that it is pretty common so it's easy found in the internet.

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#5 2011-11-09 02:53:05

Troubadix

Cool, thanks. The problem was, that I didn't know how to google it or what to write here in the search bar, because there were so much indications.

Board footer