Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-25 09:57:17

taoleo

[Solved] Installed XFCE4 should I remove Gnome?

Hi,
I use Debian testing and a recent update installed Gnome 3 and then I installed XFCE.
Will leaving gnome installed cause any clash with XFCE and if so should I remove gnome and gnome-desktop-enviroment and or other gnome appilcations?

#2 2011-11-25 14:23:01

wkr

Re: [Solved] Installed XFCE4 should I remove Gnome?

I have installed Xfce in linux Mint 9 LTS (Gnome based) 18 months ago. No clashes between the 2 DE so far

#3 2011-11-25 23:04:22

David Gerard

There's no reason to remove it if it's not actively annoying you. I actually use Xfce with a lot of favourite GNOME apps (e.g. I prefer Nautilus and Totem to Thunar and Parole).

That said, I've heard anecdotal reports of Unity leaving Xubuntu behaving oddly, so for users on Ubuntu a fresh Xubuntu may be indicated.

#4 2011-11-28 04:50:54

mukundsagar

I had first install unity tried both 2d and 3d ..then gnome-fallback..It was bad experience i would say using them.. then installed kde-plasma and removed gnome completely ..

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

Using the above link

Did not like kde plasma as it was eating up lot of resources..
Finally...tried XFCE..wonder why i did not use it before smile

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

This link helped me make my ubuntu pure xfce..whatever was your previous desktop environment .. you can remove all its apps ..

So i have tried all desktop environments on same installation and finally have settled on XFCE smile
There were some problems after switching to xfce..especially with lightdm and xdm.
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6541
But once i started using gdm to login..Everything is working great..

Another thing I did after switching to xfce is to remove folders related to gnome (or kde) in /home/username/.config/ and Then you can enjoy default xfce 4.8.

#5 2011-11-28 06:09:09

taoleo

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The reason I asked is because I installed XFCE on Debian Testing that was upgraded to Gnome 3.
After using XFCE for an hour or so it locked up in the sence that the open application lost it's top bar and could not be shutdown, no other application would load so I was forced to shutdown manually.
Each time I booted again XFCE open up with the same locked screen, couldn't get rid of it.
I played with a second computer and using a clone of Debian I tried again and loaded XFCE and after a short while the same lock up happened again.
Clone again, same again, this happened a number of times and even when I tried Enlightenment.

With the final attempt I installed XFCE then immediatly removed Gnome and Gnome-Desktop-Enviroment. There is still a lot of Gnome on the computer which I will leave for the moment and when I update I'll be selective which Gnome components I will allow. So far this insatll is good.

Just thought I'd mention all this.
So far I have not found anyone to say that Gnome should be removed, maybe it's just a Debian Testing/Gnome 3/Me problem.

Board footer