Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-16 01:08:00

xpacker

Logout goes back to login screen

When I click "logout" on my Applications Menu, XFCE goes back to the login screen instead of giving me the Logout/Restart/Shutdown window.  Is there an edit I can make somewhere to get back to the regular logout screen?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 2011-12-17 06:19:03

stqn

Re: Logout goes back to login screen

My guess would be that consolekit is not launched or configured correctly, so you don't have the rights to shutdown or reboot. But that's just a guess smile. Which distribution are you using?

#3 2011-12-22 22:23:16

Ahau

Re: Logout goes back to login screen

Hi all smile

I seem to be suffering from this issue as well, and I'm wondering if it's an old bug that is still causing problems:  https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7442

I am building XFCE for Porteus, a linux-live distribution (similar to Slax) based on slackware.  I'm compiling from source using the slackbuilds and source code by rworkman: http://connie.slackware.com/~rworkman/xfce-4.8/

I'm using SLiM as the login manager (but this issue is reproducible when using lxdm), ck-launch-session is invoked (by xinitrc) and running. When I restart or shut down the system using the "logout" button in the panel (which invokes xfce4-session-logout), xorg-server crashes and SLiM restarts.  On my system, SLiM hangs for a few moments and then shuts down the system, but on another user's system, SLiM just remains open. 

Here's a portion of my slim.log:

Terminal: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
** Message: xfsm-shutdown-helper.c:1470: Using ConsoleKit to Restart
xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
gdu-notification-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
wicd-client.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Importing pynotify failed, notifications disabled.
Has notifications support False
Connecting to daemon...
Connected.
displaytray True
Done loading.

slim: waiting for X server to shut down

/usr/bin/xauth:  file /var/run/slim.auth does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.9.5
Release Date: 2011-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Slackware 13.37 Slackware Linux Project
Current Operating System: Linux porteus 3.1.1-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 21 10:47:37 UTC 2011 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 rootfstype=ext4 rw initrd=/32/boot/initrd.xz from_dev=UUID:b459f3f5-b0c4-4462-a638-889d03cd8c19 from_dir=/32/porteus/ vga=791 toroot xfce changes=/dev/sdb2/32/ BOOT_IMAGE=/32/boot/vmlinuz 
Build Date: 18 March 2011  12:08:03AM

Current version of pixman: 0.20.2
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Dec 22 13:13:31 2011
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
resize called 1680 1050
slim: unexpected signal 15

This section of log starts right after I push the restart button from the panel, and ends when the system shuts down -- you can see how SLiM restarts after the crash.

I'm runnig xfsession 4.8.2.

Any help on this would be appreciated, I've been tearing my hear out on this one for a few days now...

Thanks!

EDIT:  I neglected to mention something that was key to discovering this issue:  The system only displays the SLiM login screen after xorg crashes when the system is using an ext2 filesystem.  When ext4 or xfs are used, xorg still crashes, but the system continues to shut down without bouncing back to SLiM, so it's not very noticeable if you aren't using ext2 or pouring over your logs.  I haven't tested with ext3, btrfs or otherwise.

Last edited by Ahau (2011-12-23 19:08:15)

Board footer