Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-02 01:10:37

Nomer

Panel Transparency

Hi,
I've compiled xfce4-panel and I can't get transparency. I can make my windows transparent. I've seen somewhere that you need to enable it with a compile option. Is this correct? If so what is it?

Thanks,
Nomer

Last edited by Nomer (2011-10-12 01:46:16)

#2 2011-10-12 01:45:59

Nomer

Re: Panel Transparency

Oh, my. In retrospect the above post contains very little information.

Well, I've made a little progress. After a lot of searching around, I came to the conclusion that the compile option was for xfwm4.
I downloaded the latest version of xfce4-panel (version 4.8.6, My old version was 4.8.0) and recompiled.
The transparency options are now visible. I can change the transparency for the whole panel (both enter and leave); however, when I lower the alpha for the background (when I use the system style or a background color) the transparency does not increase. Rather, the background color simply gets darker.
Also, when I set the background to a transparent image, the transparent part is black.

I'm using The Greybird Gtk theme. I've compiled the Murrine engine from source.

I'll keep looking around. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be open to them.

Nomer

#3 2011-12-22 22:28:31

jimwg

Nomer wrote:

Oh, my. In retrospect the above post contains very little information.

Well, I've made a little progress. After a lot of searching around, I came to the conclusion that the compile option was for xfwm4.
I downloaded the latest version of xfce4-panel (version 4.8.6, My old version was 4.8.0) and recompiled.
The transparency options are now visible. I can change the transparency for the whole panel (both enter and leave); however, when I lower the alpha for the background (when I use the system style or a background color) the transparency does not increase. Rather, the background color simply gets darker.
Also, when I set the background to a transparent image, the transparent part is black.

I'm using The Greybird Gtk theme. I've compiled the Murrine engine from source.

I'll keep looking around. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be open to them.

Nomer

I wish you success. I've been pining for this feature to be built-in, like also adding apps to the panel! sad
JimWG

#4 2011-12-23 17:18:53

JasonR

Have you tried setting the appearance style to "solid color"?  Lowering the alpha to 0 with solid checked works for me.  My panels are transparent.

Last edited by JasonR (2011-12-23 17:21:55)

#5 2011-12-23 18:37:07

jimwg

JasonR wrote:

Have you tried setting the appearance style to "solid color"?  Lowering the alpha to 0 with solid checked works for me.  My panels are transparent.

Seasons Greetings!

Thanks for your swift reply! Our systems might be different. The only things that shows up on my Panel pop-up box is Appearance = Size, Position Fixed/Moveable, Full width/normal width, Autohide. sad

JimWG

Last edited by jimwg (2011-12-23 18:37:52)

#6 2011-12-23 21:25:07

JasonR

Okay, Jim.  There does seem to be some differences.  I'm using the latest XFCE on Xubuntu 11.10.  The only other suggestion I have is to make sure you've enabled compositing in window manager tweaks in xf window manager.  That allows panel transparency for me.  Sounds like you have it enabled, though.

Board footer