Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-22 21:30:09

compiler

Desktop's file/directory names limit

Hi.

I've switched from GNOME3 to XFCE and I'm quite happy with it, despite some minor issues.

The first I've noticed is that the filenames and directory names under the icons in the xfce desktop are clipped with "...":

"My Long Filename" -> "My Long Fi..."

Is there any way to configure this "limit" so that I can puto a more reasonable limit (such as 32, or 64) and see the filenames "wrapped?

"My Long Filename"

->

"My Long
  Filename"

Thanks.

#2 2011-12-23 19:16:08

eric_the_idiot

Re: Desktop's file/directory names limit

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::ellipsize-icon-labels = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Add that to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and it will no longer truncate the icon labels. http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/tree/README has more details of what customization options are out there.

#3 2011-12-24 10:08:10

compiler

eric_the_idiot wrote:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::ellipsize-icon-labels = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Add that to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and it will no longer truncate the icon labels. http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/tree/README has more details of what customization options are out there.

Thanks a lot, I'll test it inmediately.

I don't understand why aren't those options (this and others like colours and transparency from .gtkrc-2.0) configurable in a Configuration app. It should just modify .gtkrc-2.0 and warn the user that he needs an X restart...

#4 2011-12-24 13:12:36

Nick
Dev
Website

You need an application restart.

#5 2011-12-24 13:58:35

compiler

Nick wrote:

You need an application restart.

It works, it works perfectly.

What I was pointing in my last message it's that this (and the colours and transparency level) would be candidates to be configurable parameters in a GUI app like "XFdesktop preferences" or something like that. It could work by creating / modifying the .gtkrc-2.0 file and warning the user after a change that it needs an app restart (or respawn the desktop automatically by the app).

Thanks for the help :-)

Board footer