Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-20 16:29:50

aidrocsid

[Solved] Something overriding the my desktop and right-click menu.

I'm running Ubuntu 11 with XFCE 4.8. I have Applications>Settings>Desktop set up to display minimized windows and to show an application menu on right-click[/, but it's showing the contents of the folder and a simpler right-click menu with no applications menu or shortcuts. This just happened when I last reset with the latest updates, and now a background that I set through chrome, but which didn't show up before, is displayed as well. The root of it seems to be some extra settings manager labeled System Settings that isn't available through the applications menu, but only by right-clicking on the desktop and then Change Desktop Background.

Here is a series of screencaps.

Last edited by aidrocsid (2012-01-20 16:36:27)

#2 2012-01-20 18:40:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Something overriding the my desktop and right-click menu.

It looks like Nautilus maybe managing the desktop. If you want to use Nautilus, you have to run it with the --no-desktop parameter so that it doesn't take over managing the desktop. Trying killing all instances of nautilus then running

xfdesktop --reload

to get xfdesktop to manage the desktop.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2012-01-20 19:08:03

aidrocsid

That did it, thanks. If I use Thunar anyway, can I just get rid of nautilus?

#4 2012-01-20 19:15:51

ToZ
Administrator

If you want. There's no harm in keeping it though (other than remembering to run it with the --no-desktop parameter).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer